Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A qwestion.(lol)  (Read 507 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
A qwestion.(lol)
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:51:38 am »

When I ever try to embark near the ocean,it tells me that its with salt water,hard to survive etcetecetetc.

If I embark on both a river and ocean,will the river have the drinkable water?

/poor english

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A qwestion.(lol)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:13:49 am »

Try it out. Just embark and place a water source zone on the river. If the numbers in the brackets in the water source are more than 0, the water is drinkable. For example; Water source (13) = drinkable, water source (0) not.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:29:52 am »

If it warns about salt water at embark then the whole surface water will be salt water, including the pools and rivers.  I think water from the caverns should be fresh though.  Salt water isn't such a big problem because dwarves will drink booze and only wounded dwarves specifically need water.  Just don't run out of plump helmets to brew.. ;)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:33:40 am »

If you know how to farm and brew booze you do not need water.
Only injured dwarves, prisoners and sentient animals (tigermen) need water
Inured dwarves can have water from a well, and dwarves drink salt water from a well
Prisoners can be tied to a chain instead of put in a cage ad that way you can put a booze stockpile next to him
tiger men can drink water from the cavern (not from the well) so that should be ok

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:32:01 am »

From my experience, any embark location within 1 tile on the region map (the center map at the embark screen) of any salty body of water will have salt water throughout its natural water sources; that includes rivers, murky pools, aquifers, and maybe even cavern water (not certain). However, salt water is easily made potable, either by drawing it from a well or building an artificial reservoir and screw-pumping the water into it (it has to be completely constructed; touching a tile of natural stone or soil will revert the water to salty again).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."