Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass Weapons/Trap Components  (Read 2781 times)

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
Glass Weapons/Trap Components
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:42 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:02:42 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Weapons/Trap Components
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:46:09 am »

Glass disks are ungodly. Besides that, hit or miss

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:00:29 am »

I've gotten decent results with corkscrews. They aren't great and they are nearly useless against armor but in this age of omnipresent magma you can just spam 10 of them per trap and they are pretty dangerous.
Memento Mori

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:58 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:02:54 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:36:35 am »

I just go the extra mile to make pearlash and use clear glass disks. They're the same, but I can sell the spare masterwork ones for loads.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:28:45 pm »

I heard that glass sets a random max edge different for each world. Making them anywhere from butter knife to razor blade depending on the fort. It's almost best to use something else instead. I however find that them as a first line defense before cage traps works well. It kills all the animals that I don't want to waste cages on and lets the goblins pass uninjured. But if I wanted to kill goblins I probably wouldn't waste the effort.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:31 pm »

I heard that glass sets a random max edge different for each world.

That bug's been fixed a few versions ago. Currently, against armor they are useless, but if it's not covered by armor, it will get chopped off. My adventurer lost all his fingers and toes while I was exploring my old fortress after I turned traps on.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:47:18 pm »

Glass traps arnt as worthless as most people think, the trick is to just use sheer numbers of traps. Your probably better off creating glass cages/cage traps though. Its faster and takes MUCH less time to reset. I cant tell you how many fortresses Ive lost because my lazy dwarfs wouldn't pick the goblin out of the trap.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18:23 am »

Currently, glass is sharper than metal but light and relatively frail. On the whole, glass trap components are weaker than metal ones: you lose more in the ability to penetrate armour/bone than you gain in the ability to cause grievous wounds against exposed flesh. However, this may not be a bad thing.

I would consider glass disks as a standard trap for my killing zone: they're good at mincing exposed bits, reducing combat ability and leading to eventual death via exsanguination without too many instant kills. Metal disks are more suited as a failsafe inside of this: Too much maintenance as instant kills can jam traps.

Components with a small contact area have a decent chance to penetrate armour regardless of material... but for corkscrews, spikes and balls glass mostly seems an inferior substitute.