Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing from oceans?  (Read 818 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing from oceans?
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:29:28 pm »

I'd like to fish from oceans because of the abundant Sea Nettle Jellyfish, but my fisherdwarfs wont go near the water even if I designate it as "fishing zone". Even if there is no vertical drop/rocky coastline they still don't catch anything. My only other idea on how to get Sea Nettle's is to build a series of Grates, Floodgates, and Pumps to pull in the ocean and spit out the water. Which, really, would be epic in that dwarfy way.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing from oceans?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:42 pm »

Also, several groups of goblins will attack my fortress, but start fighting eachother. Wat do?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »

You could always build piers out of bridges, Like one every 3 squares, with some connecting bridges so dwarves don't have to go back to the shore constantly.

I think goblin infighting was fixed in one of the newer versions. Check the bug reports.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »

Sea Nettle Jellyfish can't be caught by fisherdwarves, even though you can buy them from caravans.  You need the ocean to contain vermin-size fish-type creatures, which they often don't.

If the ocean contains creature-type fish, like sharks or tuna or whales, you can catch them with a setup described here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780.0
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »

I wish Sea Nettle would join the vermin ranks. Gonna go add that to the suggestions page.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »

Modding could quite possibly turn them into vermin.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:27 pm »

Jellyfish already are vermin, they have the VERMIN_GROUNDER token.  They have the FISHITEM token, but the only time I've ever seen a fisherdwarf catch one was when I released some seawater containing jellyfish into a cavern, and a fisherdwarf ran over and grabbed one of the beached jellyfsh.  I think they need VERMIN_FISH to be caught normally by fisherdwarves, rather than VERMIN_GROUNDER.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »

Jellyfish already are vermin, they have the VERMIN_GROUNDER token.  They have the FISHITEM token, but the only time I've ever seen a fisherdwarf catch one was when I released some seawater containing jellyfish into a cavern, and a fisherdwarf ran over and grabbed one of the beached jellyfsh.  I think they need VERMIN_FISH to be caught normally by fisherdwarves, rather than VERMIN_GROUNDER.
Thank you very much. My dwarves will not starve waiting for the Humans this time. To the RAW!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

Added the [Vermin_Fish] atribute to Sea Nettles and increased their population from 50-100 to 150-200 because I'm lazy and dont want to manage farms.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 05:08:13 pm »

Hey guys, look what I caught! I'm the only dwarf to have EVER caught one of these! It was so hard, I was out there for hours it just wouldn't let go of the line, it was such hard work, this is the greatest achievment ever... oh hey, Urist! Don't go in there! There's still plenty swimming around in the cavern... tell you what, I'll go in and catch the rest before anyone else goes in alright?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »

Yeah, I fish oceans a lot. It's one of my favorite industries in dwarf fort. Without getting into the incredibly complex, the easiest way is to build floors leading out to somewhere in the middle then construct a "fishery". Build a big building with grated holes for fishing, places for storage, and places for gutting and preparing the raw fish. Also if you have flying anything on your map you're gonna need walls around it and possibly roofs. Your dwarves will dive into the ocean to escape the horrible evils of the vulture and you'll never get the bodies back.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz