Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Have you donated this month?  (Read 2020 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Have you donated this month?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »

I'm...I'm poor. Leave me alone, I want to, but I can't ;-;

But...

For those that want to support Toady but can't do so financially, one of the best ways of supporting an independent creator is to just tell your friends about that person's work.

Share Dwarf Fortress with a few of your friends...and then guilt THEM into donating!

I do. :D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »

Oh yeah, I'm always rambling at people about how sweet Dwarf Fortress is and that they should play.

Unfortunately, no success so far. As far as I know. I don't get out much.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 05:42:03 pm »

I donate money to Tarn Adams once a year.  The donation is not a huge amount, but if everyone in this forum donated that much to him once a year, he would live very well indeed.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 05:48:13 pm »

Also, every dollar I would donate would cost me 1,50 in my country.

And R$ 1,50 is HUGE sum of money, no?

I donated twice already. Granted, it was not much by any means but it was what I could donate at the time. Now that I have a good job I can make a good donation, but I am waiting to come back to my country in the beggining of April to get a credit card. Then certainly I will donate.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 06:47:12 pm »

I donated twice already. Granted, it was not much by any means but it was what I could donate at the time. Now that I have a good job I can make a good donation, but I am waiting to come back to my country in the beggining of April to get a credit card. Then certainly I will donate.
Let me refrase that.
If I am to donate 50 dollars, I need to pay 75 reais for the 50 dollars. I don't have 75 reais to spare that easily.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 04:54:42 am »

*sob* My group of 7* dwarfamilymembers have wandered into desolate Canadia, and the nearest civilization is five and a half miles away.

Sadly, I don't get an allowance, either. My only means of income is scrounging in couches and looting pockets when I do the laundry...

*realistically 5

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:27 am »

But...

For those that want to support Toady but can't do so financially, one of the best ways of supporting an independent creator is to just tell your friends about that person's work.

Share Dwarf Fortress with a few of your friends...and then guilt THEM into donating!

I do. :D

Donated in the past but I'm currently poor and without cash for video games.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 06:58:24 am »

I've actually done this - introduced it to a few select hacker/coder/entrep sites I visit.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 07:09:25 am »

Let me refrase that.
If I am to donate 50 dollars, I need to pay 75 reais for the 50 dollars. I don't have 75 reais to spare that easily.
So, don't donate that much? It's not like $50 is spare change here, either. I bet most of the donations Toady gets are more like $10-20. Every little bit helps.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 07:11:16 am »

Unfortunately I've never had anything to donate  :'(
*Hugs*

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 07:14:51 am »

Let me refrase that.
So, don't donate that much? It's not like $50 is spare change here, either. I bet most of the donations Toady gets are more like $10-20. Every little bit helps.

I don't have an international credit card. Happy now?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »

Can't. I'm broke.

That, and there's also the fact that I have a weakness for used-book bookshops. :/

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »

Not that I'm ragging on you for not donating, as it is of course 100% your choice, but how about Paypal?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »

Not that I'm ragging on you for not donating, as it is of course 100% your choice, but how about Paypal?
Can't seem to be able to make payments through paypal. I tried with my brother's for a Magic the Gathering booster box once(they cost about 1/4 in US comparing to Brazil's). It was a great success.
Can't with mine ;(

Lemme alone! I'm poor D; D;

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »

I've donated once, just before the creature support voting thingie.

So I'm now waiting for the next one or I'll miss that one too fake-:(
Pages: 1 [2]