Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Simple Solution to the Migrant Kitten Problem  (Read 2614 times)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Simple Solution to the Migrant Kitten Problem
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:30 am »

I pasture all the male cats in my food stockpiles where they are needed for pest control.

OMG that is a brilliant idea!!!

Zones and stockpiles are not mutually exclusive - so a tile can be designated as both!

These pastures open a new world of possibilities ... like animal repeaters with an animal placed on a 1 tile pasture, above a pressure plate ...

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »

Seriously tho, why not just mod cats not to be pets?

This has been answered:

What about modding them to be [AQUATIC][IMMOBILE_LAND]? That makes it automatic.

That's not a short path to walk down.  If you mod cats to be stationary and instantly air-drown, then you need to do something about the vermin.  And why stop there?  Besides - I'm not a fan of that kind of modding, unless it's to work around a bug.  (The only modding I do is to adjust the attribute and skill rates on dwarfs to be slightly more favourable.  And I was using a cutom reaction to create shells back when turtles were broken and still required.)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »

It's cool, but... i just generally pit my useless animals in a vertical mineshaft right inside the magma sea.

Pretty much 99.99% positive that, again, pitting doesn't work with pets. I could be wrong.

It doesn't, but I have a similar solution that DOES work.  Build a shaft that leads to magma, and build a floor hatch over it.  I then build a wall around it (for safety reasons), with one door leading out.  Link a lever to the hatch.  Make the door non-pet passable, and place a 1x1 PASTURE over the hatch.  Pets can be assigned to pastures (since grazing pets MUST be pastured or starve).  Assign all, and I mean ALL unwanted pets to the pasture.  Occassionally one will escape when the door is opened, but most won't.  Once all the pets are inside the room, lock the door and pull the lever.  All pets will plummet into the magma.  Pull the lever again, and unlock the door, repeat as desired.  Less work, minimal lag, no muss no fuss.

EDIT: Making a 2x1 room with two hatches linked to the same lever works very well, and helps reduce escaping pets by providing their pathfinding with more pasture space to wander through; just add a second hatch and expand the pasture to cover both.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:59:08 pm by Urist_McArathos »
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »

This has been answered:

What about modding them to be [AQUATIC][IMMOBILE_LAND]? That makes it automatic.

That's not a short path to walk down.  If you mod cats to be stationary and instantly air-drown, then you need to do something about the vermin.  And why stop there?  Besides - I'm not a fan of that kind of modding, unless it's to work around a bug.  (The only modding I do is to adjust the attribute and skill rates on dwarfs to be slightly more favourable.  And I was using a cutom reaction to create shells back when turtles were broken and still required.)

Just only do something like that to one caste, and you're set.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:11 pm »

Well, I think the point is more that if there's a non-mod solution, he'd rather take it on principal, especially when the non-mod solution is as simple as the one he's proposed.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 04:55:28 pm »

Well, I think the point is more that if there's a non-mod solution, he'd rather take it on principal, especially when the non-mod solution is as simple as the one he's proposed.

Exactly.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 05:04:08 pm »

Assign unwanted pets to a pasture. Lock door to pasture room. Flood room with your favorite liquid. Or pasture zone atop a bridge. Or release a goblin into the pasture.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »

Vermin.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:37 pm »

I wasn't suggesting them to not be... oh right if they're not pets they don't come with the migrant and you can't buy them.

Make them not adopt dwarves, then, by removing [ADOPTS_OWNER].... and DEFFINITELY remove the [RETURN_VERMIN_KILLS_TO_OWNER] tag.

This is why I don't have cats in my game, you know...
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 [2]