Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Simple Solution to the Migrant Kitten Problem  (Read 2610 times)

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
A Simple Solution to the Migrant Kitten Problem
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:09:16 pm »

My fellow dwarfs,

Time and time again our forts have been held hostage by our migrants' pet cats.  Specifically their female cats.  The migrants, too fond of their pets, refuse to allow those running our forts to do the proper thing and remove the breeding female from the population.  As a result, our butchers are forced to be on constant watch to deal with kittens as soon as they are born, lest our forts fall to the phenomenon known as 'catsplosion.'

No more, I say!  No more will we bow to the whims of our migrants!  No more will we be forced to construct elaborate 'migrant pet disposal systems,' such as danger rooms and long hallways of furry death.  For behold, a breakthrough by our greatest dwarf scientists (after minutes of research!)!  I reveal to you now a much simpler and more elegant solution:

Pastures.

Yes, good dwarfs, we can now put these migrant cats out to pasture.  Inside a dwarven 'atom-smasher.'  No mess, no fuss, and only a small chance of a tantrum if dealt with promptly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Fortress of FireHome has benefited greatly from this discovery, and I suspect your fortress can too! 

Have a good day, and happy smashing!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: A Simple Solution to the Migrant Kitten Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »

Or, you could stuff them in a cage or pit.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:12:48 pm »

Or, you could stuff them in a cage or pit.

Pits don't stop them from breeding, and you can't cage pets.  So no, you can't.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:13:32 pm »

Whoops, I was thinking of the cat I stuck in a cage after I crushed the owner. Sorry!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Birdy Bot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:45 pm »

Brilliant Work Cydonian Monk!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:23:38 pm »

What about modding them to be [AQUATIC][IMMOBILE_LAND]? That makes it automatic.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »

Yup, been using this since the .21 release or so. Works quite nicely and I pasture all the male cats in my food stockpiles where they are needed for pest control. Don't have to scour the fortress all the time making sure the haulers got each and every one of the vermin remains picked up.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »

I just throw them out in from of my fortress into a "pasture" and by next year the goblins kill all of them.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:18:12 am »

Brilliant Work Cydonian Monk!

Thanks! 

I'm running on an older machine so uncontrolled animals are a major FPS concern. (And the Giant Badgers in the latest release are both an FPS concern and a work hazard!)  Anything I can do to keep the population down without elaborate control measures is a huge benefit.

What about modding them to be [AQUATIC][IMMOBILE_LAND]? That makes it automatic.

That's not a short path to walk down.  If you mod cats to be stationary and instantly air-drown, then you need to do something about the vermin.  And why stop there?  Besides - I'm not a fan of that kind of modding, unless it's to work around a bug.  (The only modding I do is to adjust the attribute and skill rates on dwarfs to be slightly more favourable.  And I was using a cutom reaction to create shells back when turtles were broken and still required.)

Yup, been using this since the .21 release or so. Works quite nicely and I pasture all the male cats in my food stockpiles where they are needed for pest control. Don't have to scour the fortress all the time making sure the haulers got each and every one of the vermin remains picked up.

Indeed, another benefit.  (Now if we could paint 3D pastures, stockpiles and zones like we can burrows....)  At the moment I have more food stockpiles than cats, so I only pasture cats into my "Prepared Meals" and "Mead" stockpiles.  The rest are free-range to cover the remainder of the food production halls.

Thanks for the feedback!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:35:44 am »

Nice! Of course, sticking them in a pasture at the front door to flush out kidnappers and thieves works well too..
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:00 am »

with the new version however they only adopt people who like cats.

those get exterminated unless they're useful.

this works though, good job.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 02:53:08 pm »

It's cool, but... i just generally pit my useless animals in a vertical mineshaft right inside the magma sea.

As well as my refuse.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »

I thought of doing this with a minor variant as soon as pastures came out. My version used repeating spikes instead. More messy, same result.
Memento Mori

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:46:41 am »

It's cool, but... i just generally pit my useless animals in a vertical mineshaft right inside the magma sea.

Pretty much 99.99% positive that, again, pitting doesn't work with pets. I could be wrong.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:22 am »

And here I was hoping for the post to just be this:

MAGMA

Seriously tho, why not just mod cats not to be pets?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2