Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh coal, where art thou?  (Read 2926 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh coal, where art thou?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »

You're the exact opposite of what happens with me.
I find tons of coal, and no metals AT ALL.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 09:19:39 pm »

In 31.18, 90% of the time, after I finish digging out all my rooms to house 150-200 dwarves I end up with 200-300 iron ores, but only 200 bit coal and that goes fast.  I never have enough coal (or even lignite) and wood is too precious to be used for fuel.

I need to figure out either how to get more coal, or learn how to find magma without waking every denizen between the surface and the magma sea.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »

Digging down to the magma sea doesn't have to be that difficult. When you run into a cavern, just wall it off and keep digging around it. I've had forgotten beasts running around in vein for a few years before bothering to do anything about them.

On a related note, run your lava channel for your forges through a fortification first to keep the lava swimmers out.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:25:50 pm »

Or you could be a cheater and use dfreveal to find a nice, solid pillar of rock and dig your stairway through it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »

Since I'm having the same issue (plenty of magnetite, no coal so far), I'll ask:

Should I spend a bunch of time carving up areas with known sedimentary strata with 7x7 grids looking for coal seams, or should I just accept that coal is likely NOT there and keep heading down?  I'd prefer the experience of firing my forges the old fashioned way, but if the geology model is that way, I don't want to waste a ton of time...
Randy...

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:40 pm »

Don't forget you can usually create subterranean tree farms once you've breached the 1st cavern.

Since you can now use Clay & Stone to make a Barrel-substitute (aka a Pot), I'm pretty sure the only thing remaining that can only be made out of wood are Beds.

So you can turn the rest of your wood into charcoal.

Edit1: Ok, I forgot a few things, like: Obsidian Shortswords, Ash, Axles, & Siege engines.
Edit2: add: Windmills, Water Wheels, & Ballista Bolts

Still, Wood is material for which requirements should be manageable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:53:43 pm by JAFANZ »

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 06:59:13 am »

Don't clay pots need fuel to be made though? So unless you have coal or magma you don't make a profit on wood. You might as well just race to the bottom of the map and get free fuel.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:11 am »

Still goes for rock pots though...plus cavern breaching gives you more or less unlimited wood.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:30:50 am »

Is it me or is the coal gen a bit out of wonk? I wouldn't mine copious amounts of it to be honest.

If I would like to mess around with coal prevalence on my next world gen, where would I look?

I dont mind scarcity of minerals coz 31.16 metal was so common it was ezmode steel. But I kind of find it silly that you can beeline (or is that dwarfline?) past coal and shit and go directly for magma forges.

Magma should be a reward, not the easy way out in order to not deal with coal reactions.

Btw can you make coke with coke+bit.coal (or lignite) or do you need charcoal + lignite/bit.?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:45 am »

To jump-start coke production, you have to have at least 1 unit of charcoal (from wood at a wood furnace).  After which you can turn Lignite into Coke (uses 1 unit of charcoal or coke, gives you two coke) or Bit Coal (1 unit of charcoal/coke -> 3 coke).

I'm having a *lot* of issues finding coal or lignite on my two 31.25 embarks so far.  Nothing in my current 3x3 embark which was shallow metals, deep metals flux, and clay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MINERAL_SCARCITY of 800 is definitely a fair amount of metals.  21k Magnetite, 7k Hematite, 4.4k Sphalerite.  Tiny bit of Galena but no gold, silver or platinum.  My previous embark at 800 had a nice mix of cass (tin), tetra (copper) and iron ores.  Shallow metal is nice, just digging out the surface areas has netted me 2k Magnetite already, but I'm going to have to dig for cavern wood or attempt to find shallow magma.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 11:40:46 am »

The raws contain "ENVIRONMENT:class:type:freq" but freq seems to always be 100 for everything (including bituminous coal and lignite) and 100 is supposedly the maximum.

Anyone know anything about this raw token?
Pages: 1 [2]