Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh coal, where art thou?  (Read 2927 times)

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh coal, where art thou?
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

So, Hey all! New DF player here, ready to ask a question. :)

I have gotten my claws into a laarge heap of iron, there is like an endless load of it, but, the problem is that
i never find any coal! And my furnace operator won`t smelt any of it because he needs refined coal. fuel made by wood doesen`t work, and there is no coal to be found. what to do?

Am i just searching in the wrong areas? I don`t know much about layers and such, but coal is non the less close to nowhere to be found. :/
Any pros here that could give me som tips & tricks? :)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Oh coal, where art thou?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

Fuel made by wood DOES work. Just burn it into charcoal at a wood burning furnace.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:40:31 pm »

Most maps nowadays won't have coal. If you make a wood burner you can fuel your forges with charcoal. The best way is to dig all the way down until you hit magma since magma forges need no fuel unless you are making steel.
Memento Mori

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:42:14 pm »

Pretty much.

Basically, you need charcoal or coke. Charcoal is made of wood at a Wood Furnace, and you need a Wood Burner to make it.
Coke is made out of lignite or bituminous coal at a Smelter, you need a Furnace Operator.

Seeing as you need come coke or charcoal to make coke, you have to start with charcoal or buy coke/bring it on embark.

Or just dig deeper, hit magma, and exploit it.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »

Oh, okay. thanks for all the help. will certainly try this out. :)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »

Another thread that can reasonably be answered by "MAGMA" as second post.

Yeah find magma really, and use magma smelters. It's way too annoying to smelt every single ore you want from coal.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:51:33 pm »

1. Use a Wood Burner to make charcoal.
2. Dig down to the magma, make magma forges.
3. Use the Prospect tool to check your map for coal.
4. Edit some reactions into the raws to make coal and flux stone, just so you don't have to go through this with your next fortress. Alternately, gen a world with 100+ volcanos and embark on one for instant access to all the magma your forging and gobbo-melting desires could need.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:27:24 pm »

The only time I've found coal since the minerals update is when I cranked the slider up to max. I've even played a few forts with it above average and haven't got any. I haven't used any programs to cheat and find it, but it seems a bit weird after playing the earlier versions. I wonder why it's always so rare? It's not like more coal would be broken since every map has magma anyway.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:30:53 pm »

Well, on my first fortress, i found more coal than i could ever use, but no iron. :/

And, if i set the slider for mineral occurance to "Everywhere!" i rarely find flux stone. :P

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »

I did have a fortress with the current version containing iron, flux, and lignite (bituminous coal would've been too good). Unfortunately it got wiped out by a ludicrously early ambush, before I'd got any form of defence set up. You've got to get really lucky to have all the ingredients handy.

You've got a better chance of finding shallow magma. It can be very deep but isn't always, I'm presently on the magma sea at a mere 33 z levels down.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »

My current fortress has bituminous coal, hematite, marble and obsidian layers, plus several other ores.
I set the ore occurrence to 500, its about 50% more plentiful than it was in 40d. Works great.

(Obsidian is modded to be an ore of mithril thread strands in my game (you need a lot (plus flux and coal) to make any bars of it))
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »

I have no coal on my map, sadly.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:40:22 pm »

I have lots of magnetite up there, coal and lignite, marble... no obsidian, and magma over 80 levels down.

I went there already, being done with the main 2x2 staircase in Spring. Now to mine out the whole complex...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:17:44 pm »

Made a new fortress, which now has bituminious coal and limonite. ^^ Sadly, no flux stone yet. :/ although, the location finder showed me that it was flux there, so i should look some more. :D

And how to you change "ore occurance" to 500? havn`t seen that before. :O

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:55 pm »

Advanced worldgen parameters let you do a lot to the world. You can set mineral occurrence, number of volcanoes, and so on, and so on...
A Kea has stolen a coke!
Pages: [1] 2