Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Largest artifact ingredient list?  (Read 1250 times)

Jiharn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Largest artifact ingredient list?
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:08:29 pm »

Hello!  I've only been playing Dwarf Fortress for a few weeks, and this is my first time posting here, so I apologize if something like this is a dead old topic.  But I recently read about Planepacked ( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Planepacked ) over on the df wiki, and I counted around...550 or so material mentions in the description list.  I'm duplicating the burrow bug to pack a lot of materials in a strange mood I currently have, but I was wondering whether anyone has made a larger super-artifact?  What's the biggest list one so far?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Largest artifact ingredient list?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »

There isn't any real limit to the number of items if you use the burrows trick, but after a while it just gets rather pointless.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:42:46 pm »

Without doing anything, the most I've seen a dwarf use is about 5. It was a steel axe, so bonus there too!
Usually, though, my guys pick up one item and start working with it. VERY disappointing.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jiharn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »

I probably reached the "rather pointless" stage a while ago, then.  My mason has been collecting stones non-stop from a stockpile right next to him that I kept filling up for about...five and a half years now.  At this point I'm just scared that if I let him finish, trying to compile the artifact description will kill the game.  It's something of a morbid fascination now.
On the plus side, he hasn't eaten any food or consumed any booze the whole time.  Strange moods must make dwarves transcend their mortal limitations.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:03:48 pm »

I probably reached the "rather pointless" stage a while ago, then.  My mason has been collecting stones non-stop from a stockpile right next to him that I kept filling up for about...five and a half years now.  At this point I'm just scared that if I let him finish, trying to compile the artifact description will kill the game.  It's something of a morbid fascination now.
On the plus side, he hasn't eaten any food or consumed any booze the whole time.  Strange moods must make dwarves transcend their mortal limitations.

Without knowing it, you just confirmed a suspicion of mine - moody dwarves that are collecting materials won't go crazy. This means that it's entirely possible to keep a moody dwarf alive until the caravan arrives (or you get some silk from the caverns, or whatever it is you need) by assigning him to a burrow covering a stockpile that constantly supplies the primary ingredient the dwarf wants for the artifact. By adding a long (and possibly needlessly complex) path that must be traversed to get to the stockpile, you reduce the amount of material consumed while still keeping the dwarf happy and busy.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:55:37 am »

What's the most insane use of materials for one of my dorfs to build an artifact out of?  This:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78048.0
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0