Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chronicles of Stopearth  (Read 981 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chronicles of Stopearth
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »

I have decided, in the interest of maintaining my interest in this fort, to create this thread, and update once every couple of days with how I'm progressing towards my eventual goal of a large castle with proper ramparts, towers, and a little village within the walls. Of course, I have more motivation than that - I also need to comment on the effects of bringing 25000 granite blocks with me on embark.

Namely, I'm swimming in (36) horses.

My FPS is currently at a crawl, but the dwarves are diligently working to cull the horde of herd-beasts. I'm glad I opted to bring some 20 large gold pots with me; as it stands, I've already filled one with fat and two with organs, with a fourth currently being stuffed with prepared meals. I have five dwarves hauling bits of horse around while one brings them one by one into the butcher's shop and the last frantically tries to turn their remnants into roasts. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to have to put my slaughtering efforts on hold about halfway through and turn to booze instead, as that's probably about when I'll be running out. Time to make sure I've got spare barrels on reserve.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Stopearth
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »

Sounds neat. Castles are always cool.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »

25,000 stone blocks?  That's probably what's killing your FPS more than anything!  Get building already!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:40:01 pm »

...I also need to comment on the effects of bringing 25000 granite blocks with me on embark.
...bringing 25000 granite blocks with me on embark.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:49 pm »

e_o

That's a lotta blocks.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:25 am »

25,000 stone blocks?  That's probably what's killing your FPS more than anything!  Get building already!

I don't doubt that they're cutting into my FPS, and given the massive increase I've gained just by bumping off the free horses, I'm not too terribly concerned. :) That said, I've been playing off and on constantly since I first posted, and I have only just reached summer. Only three more horses to go before construction begins.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:16:19 am »

You'd be surprised.  I dug out an entire Z level once, and my fps dropped like a brick due to all the stone.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 02:02:40 am »

You'd be surprised.  I dug out an entire Z level once, and my fps dropped like a brick due to all the stone.

As I say, I'm sure that all those blocks are keeping my FPS from being as high as it could be. I was just thinking that all the horses were likely suppressing it, as well, and they were something I could do something about faster (well, without force-quitting and re-embarking with fewer blocks, that is).

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:37:24 am »

You can make large pots out of metal?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:35:12 am »

Just curious, how many embark points did you need for that much stone?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:30 am »

75000 embark points.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 01:55:39 pm »

75000 embark points.
For the stone, yes, and I brought it already in block form, so 125000.

You can make large pots out of metal?
Indeed you can; they appear under Other Objects in the forge menu.