Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching FB's  (Read 790 times)

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catching FB's
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:06:28 pm »

So It has come to my attention that an eyeless firebreathing lobster made of leather lives in the caves below my fort. I'd like to catch it somehow and make a death pit where i can throw extra gobbos. But I've read that they will avoid traps unless they are knocked out. I was wondering if anyone has experience catching FB's and the like, and what methods are best. I'd like not to injure it to much if that is possible at all.

Some possiblilitys:

1. Water. Will a FB carried by current through a trap be caught by it? Does that count as prone or will it just go right through.

2. Cave IN! dropping a FB into cage traps, will it work? will it just destroy the FB and traps in a cloud of dust?

In summation, what is the best way to catch a forgotten beast?

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Catching FB's
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:13:54 pm »

... made of leather , eyeless... , i think you should try the first one ... i don't guarante that it will work
Desu

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

The most reliable way is with a tame Giant Cave Spider webbing the FB in a room filled with cage traps.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »

Have a tame Giant Cave Spider chained up behind a wall of cage traps. Trap-immune creatures will still get hit by a trap if they get webbed on top of one, and thus you can easily (depending on the kind of FB) catch a Forgotten Beast this way.

Would a setup like this work?

Code: [Select]
#########.#
#^^^^^^^^^#
#.#########
#^^^^^^^^^#
#########.#
#^^^^^^^^^#
#.#########
....S......
S = Giant Cave Spider
# = Fortification
^ = Cage Trap
. = Open Space

The FB comes from the top, and has to go through all these corridors of fortifications filled with cage traps, while the spider shoots webs with impunity.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:51:44 pm »

Tame GCS only shoot webs in self defense. You'd be better off with a feral one.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

Do stunned creatures also become trapped? because if so it would be eaiser to have water push it off a slight drop, and onto cage traps than going through the trouble of trying to have dwarves "handle" GSC's.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

FBs cannot be stunned or whatever. You need a spider.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:48:42 pm »

I really need to start a good thread and update the wiki with my FB capture style.  If you've got a GCS you can capture anything, even those armok-forsaken flying titans with enough effort.  Flying FB, regular FB, and regular titans are easy cheese once you get the GCS and some prep-work.