Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mechanical Morhping Terrain (MMT) IT WORKS!  (Read 3291 times)

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Morhping Terrain (MMT) IT WORKS!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »

This is very cool. Even if you didn't want all the complexity of having n*n switches, you could just have one that changes between the two configurations (3 wide / 1 wide).

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »

I've done this a few times when I carved out a temporary shelter hallway for my dwarves at embark, and then found stuff there I liked and just kept on building and tunneling there, rather than start a "proper" fortress elsewhere on the embarkation. So I set up a few draw bridges that could be retracted to turn the empty cave into narrow, highly trapped entrance with multiple twists (to prevent goblin bow users from being able to shoot far at retreating dwarves and animals). Made me look forward to having more movable parts in the future to use.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 06:13:13 pm »

I think I tried making something like this before. It was basically a similar concept, except it was a series of drawbridges that became walls, and between each bridge were lines of traps (another would've been a spike strip). When up, intruders would have no choice but to get demolished by the traps, and when down, cleanup and reloading is easier. Better than that, the walls operated off 1 lever, the material costs for the building itself was cheap, and if I feel like it, I can seal the door and lead the invaders to the roof of the building (also operated by switch) and let my military have fun with them.

To be safe from kobolds, I would also plant cats on the front doorway for simple spotting, and war dogs at the end of the maze, in case the kobold is a master thief.

###################
#   !   !   !   ! D
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
D !   !   !   !   #   
###################

!= Retractable Bridge (floor-to-wall type)
#= Walls
D= Door (floodgate)
Traps lie between the bridges and walls.

[TESTED AND APPROVED]
I suggest traps over spikes, unless you feel like hiring a poor sap to be a lever-puller, or you want to build a better repeater.

What's also nice about this design is that it's scalable.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:29:38 pm by Itnetlolor »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »

By the time you get sieges, you should have enough otherwise useless dwarfs to pull levers.

Has anyone else experienced a bridge atom smashing even when it did not close into a wall? (if the enemies are on the tile it raises to when you raise it)
-   :lowed drawbridge
=   : raised drawbridge
+    : floor
~   : Magma moat
0    : Wall

----------
----g-----
~~~~~~

to:
+++++++
=======
~~~~~~

and no more goblin anywhere (not in the magma)
Soaplent green is goblins!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »

this only works if it is on a floor. it cant be on an open space :'(
LOSING IS FUN!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 09:51:30 pm »

Challenge: Build an entire fortress (excluding outer walls/"shell") out of moving bridges. Create an elaborate series of pressure plates linked to the bridges so that a dwarf walking in one end of the fortress will randomly atom-smash stuff all over the place.
Fixed.

These are incapable of atom-smashing.

Anything on the 'anchor' tile of a raising bridge will be atom smashed when the bridge is raised, so a 1xX tile raising bridge will atom smash anything on it when it is raised, thus anything which is on a bridge in your crazy fort will indeed be atom smashed when the dwarf walks on the pressure plate.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »

###################
#   !   !   !   ! D
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
# ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! #
D !   !   !   !   #   
###################

!= Retractable Bridge (floor-to-wall type)
#= Walls
D= Door (floodgate)
Traps lie between the bridges and walls.

I use a similar design with spikes, but only when preparing to deal with the Hordes Down Under, or my sanitized cavern entrances. In the latter case, I bring the bridges to their upright position, set someone on the spike repeater, and wait for the forgotten beast invaders to die. It can take a while to set up (depending on the material and how fast the beast is, you'll want at least 10 tiles of 10ish steel spikes), and it makes dealing with FBs rather boring, but it's a safe option.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:10:21 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 [2]