Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starving animals?  (Read 7620 times)

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starving animals?
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:22:42 am »

all the animals in my fortress are starving... there is food available and i dont remember animals being able to starve in any older versions of the game.... help me? D:
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: starving animals?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:35:14 am »

You need to assign a pasture area, with grass or fungus, for them to eat. Chances are it's too late already, if they're starving they'll probably die before they can eat enough.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:36:33 am »

Build a pasture zone and put the hungry animals in it. Grazers (cows, horses, and similar) need to eat now and they will eat grass in a pasture zone.

EDIT: Ninja

Even if it's too late for your current animals there's no harm in setting up a pasture for future animals to use.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:42:57 am »

is it only farm-type animals that i need to place in a pasture zone or do i have to place all animals in them?
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:03:09 am »

I think it's horses, pigs, sheep, camels, cows, reindeer, any animal that produces milk. The rest such as birds, cats, dogs, can be left on their own. You can put them in the pasture if you want, to keep them out of the way for example.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:05:52 am »

thanks alot for the help, but one last thing. one of my dwarves have a pet lamb... you cant place pets in pasture however, it is starving. what do i do?

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:07:51 am »

oh.. nevermind its not sarving anymore :S once again thanks for the help!

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:35:50 am »

Ah, grazing pets can be difficult. If it happens again, get the owner to hang around in a grassy area. The pet should stop to eat once in a while. If the owner is a miner who works long hours deep underground that could be a problem.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:02:06 am »

How could it possibly be a problem for a miner to be dragging a large, annoyed, randomly biting and kicking animal with him as he enters the caverns?

Assuming the animal will attack anything in range, and not just the dwarf in question, it might be a good strategy. Wardogs are pretty lackluster in my opinion, horses and donkeys should do a bit better at stomping things to death. You just have to balance the bad moods vs likely-hood of actual starvation. Close is good, death from starvation isn't.

Oh no! We may have just found one more new way to be an evil, sadistic little bastard in DF. I love this game.........  :D
It's a game. Have fun.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:53:53 am »

Any animal that's marked as a grazer in the raws will need to eat grass/fungus periodically to live.  That includes elephants, giraffes, etc.  If you don't have a pasture zone yet, or don't want to spare the labor to drag animals to a pasture, you can set up a meeting zone on some grass, and the animals will go there by themselves.  That'll buy you some time to get set up.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:05 pm »

Assuming the animal will attack anything in range, and not just the dwarf in question, it might be a good strategy. Wardogs are pretty lackluster in my opinion, horses and donkeys should do a bit better at stomping things to death.
this made me think of this http://trigar.com/coolstuff/donkey_lion/donkey_vs_mountain_lion.htm

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:40 pm »

Cows, water buffaloes, yaks and similar huge animals need huge pastures because they eat so much.  For those pets you can buy off of merchants, you might just want to butcher them if you are having trouble keeping them fed.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:51:55 pm »

Assuming the animal will attack anything in range, and not just the dwarf in question, it might be a good strategy. Wardogs are pretty lackluster in my opinion, horses and donkeys should do a bit better at stomping things to death.
this made me think of this http://trigar.com/coolstuff/donkey_lion/donkey_vs_mountain_lion.htm
Wow... that mule must be a grandmaster wrestler, to throw that mountain lion around by it's tail so easily. That is kind of unbelievable, and extremely dwarfy.