Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the time of Boatmurdered returned?  (Read 1541 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Is the time of Boatmurdered returned?
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:10:37 pm »

I'm noticing that wild animals are in general much more aggressive in .19.

Obviously, egg layers for one. They inevitably charge your nest boxes and can get quite feisty in trying to hold them. I've had turkeys kill dogs to keep a nest and elkbirds kill dwarves. I've also had a lowly bowyer choke a crundle to death in order to crab the eggs out from under the crundle. Suffice to say I was so amused I didn't even send in my military to help.

But what I assume? are wild grazers also seem more aggressive. I've had deer come on to the map gunning for my dwarves and had to be put down by my military lest they viciously attack my dwarves. I can only assume they feel crowded or hungry or something and are thus ornery.

Has anyone embarked with elephants to find them suddenly take a thirst for dwarf blood?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the time of Boatmurdered returned?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:38:50 pm »

Do elkbirds lay eggs? I've always found them to be unusually aggressive for being apparent herbivores

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »

I was kinda hoping that rhinos would become the new elephants. You have a large animal with a deadly goring attack that can potentionally become very pissed off at you. They have the [BENIGN] tag, which confines them to low-savagery biomes. They're also [PET_EXOTIC] and [TAMEABLE]. And [MOUNT_EXOTIC]. So you might want to watch out for invaders riding them.

As for epic tantrum spirals... we can have rampaging cattle now. Cattle with powerful skull-shattering kicks. Or deadly goring attacks.

Going on a tangent here, but people seem to forgot that elephants didn't MAKE Boatmurdered. They were a prominent feature, yes, but the reason Boatmurdered became such an iconic succession game was because of how spectacular their failures were. The fort ended because a ballista caught on fire, long after the elephant problem was gone. If Boatmurdered would've happened in this version, it probably would've ended after a bee sting on a disgruntled militia commander. Or rampaging cattle on fire after somebody pulled the wrong lever.

Anyway, yeah. Elephants or whatever.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »

Ye old random titans of doom are the new Boatmurdered  tool.

My friend greengaint nearly lost his fort today in an epic struggle followed by an tantrum spiral and another titan to scare him silly. at the end he lost over 80 dwarves and was left with a few nutty fools and emo kids.
Art is a Blast

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:56:14 pm »

I was kinda hoping that rhinos would become the new elephants. You have a large animal with a deadly goring attack that can potentionally become very pissed off at you. They have the [BENIGN] tag, which confines them to low-savagery biomes. They're also [PET_EXOTIC] and [TAMEABLE]. And [MOUNT_EXOTIC]. So you might want to watch out for invaders riding them.

That would be very awesome. I can also imagine hippos being added one day; they would be the new Carp, though they'd only appear in wet, tropical biomes.

Seriously, those things will kill you if you piss them off.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »

That would be very awesome. I can also imagine hippos being added one day; they would be the new Carp, though they'd only appear in wet, tropical biomes.

Long since done.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 03:12:49 pm »

Long since done.

Well, carp. Now I feel stupid.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

Yeah, they're in there, but they're not nearly murdery enough. Real-life hippos are bloodthirsty behemoths who love goring people with their nasty tusks.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »

Shouldn't it be: ''Has the time of Boatmurdered returned?''
I haven't actually read your post but just wanted to be annoying :)