Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anvils unavailible at embark.  (Read 1154 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anvils unavailible at embark.
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:01 am »

Don't tell me I have flux and iron on this embark and unable to get anvils...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Anvils unavailible at embark.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:20 am »

Your civilization does not have access to either iron or steel, so it's got nothing from which to make anvils.
Something strange is going on with mineral access - in one test embark, I got a Dwarven civ that had steel and bronze but did not have iron or copper...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:34:30 am »

Your civilization does not have access to either iron or steel, so it's got nothing from which to make anvils.
Something strange is going on with mineral access - in one test embark, I got a Dwarven civ that had steel and bronze but did not have iron or copper...

Same here.
No traders etc. had any iron/steel/silver, they all had bismuth bronze and bronze. Couldn't request any iron related, but they had STEEL anvils.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:58 am »

I can understand how not having access to ore could happen to a dwarf civ but not being able to make Steel is bizarre. Unless something's been changed in 0.31.19 civ's just make alloys out of thin air as shown by Humans making Bronze weapons without any access to Copper & Tin pre-0.31.18 when they didn't have STONE_PREF to give them access to ore.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »

Perhaps they don't have any sites with iron ore, but they do have flux and can import iron from the humans?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:52 pm »

You could mod a workshop that spits out anvils and other stuff you need, in exchange for.. stones that you do not need?

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »

Perfect time to test the new trade system! Trade them some iron and request anvils.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:57:15 pm »

Civs automatically have access to a metal if they have a reaction to make it.  It seems like the game doesn't actually check to see if the civ has access to the reagents for the reaction, it just looks at the product.  One of my mods created a reaction that created bars of a metal that couldn't be smelted from any ore, and I gave that reaction to only the goblins.  The result:  Goblins running around with equipment made from a special metal nobody else had.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »

Perfect time to test the new trade system! Trade them some iron and request anvils.
That would be pretty awesome but I don't think the trading system has changed. Of course, I keep screwing around with new embark sites so I haven't gotten to autumn yet.  :o
Memento Mori

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:01:25 pm »

(0.31.19) I've only genned the one giant world yet and this was not too smart on my netbook as it took an hour or more...I fell asleap.  :-[
Anyhow, I notice that only one civ of the embark entities actually has a Fortress and some territory. Maybe having your civ extinct, like the dorfs in LotR, effects what supplies you can find as well.

At least now there are eggs, honey and flour, so you can have pancakes. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »

My civ in my current embark (one ruins city, no important leaders) has steel and pig-iron but no iron. Which means I had an anvil, but had to pay 300dorfbuks on embark for it.

About the civ being in ruins, what happens if I make it to capital? Will there just be no king?
Soaplent green is goblins!

thranguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:11:23 pm »

About the civ being in ruins, what happens if I make it to capital? Will there just be no king?

If it's the same as it's been, it means that Dwarves are mostly extinct, that you'll get one, maybe two waves of migrants as the last remnants of the race head to your fortress to make their final stand, and you'll never see a Dwarf caravan or liason.  So no barons or kings as such, and you'll be growing your own population expansion past 20 or so...

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »

If it's the same as it's been, it means that Dwarves are mostly extinct, that you'll get one, maybe two waves of migrants as the last remnants of the race head to your fortress to make their final stand, and you'll never see a Dwarf caravan or liason.  So no barons or kings as such, and you'll be growing your own population expansion past 20 or so...

Sounds like a challenge. The best way would be to completely seal yourself in. Your trap laden entrance covered with a drawbridge, and the caverns likewise. Pump water up to a safe zone. Only open for caravans. Can you, the last of the children of the mountains, survive long enough to make sure your race sees tomorrow?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »

I got a dwarf caravan this year, so it had to come from SOMEWHERE... On the other hand, this is just the first year...
Soaplent green is goblins!