Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effective way to destroy a fortress.  (Read 1252 times)

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
Effective way to destroy a fortress.
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »

As I am planning to build a new fortress on the same location, to get rid of my noobish nonexisting fortress "design", which has more errors than you can imagine  ???, I would like to destroy it as soon as everyone has moved in to the new fortress. Urist McSelfdestruction forgot to build that big shiny red button next to the main gate... So I guess I have to do it on my own. As I am having always bad luck with doing manual cave-ins (my dorfs keep getting sucked into it) and there is not much stone on top of that fortress anyways, I probably would like to pump magma into it and then disable the lowest gear assembly, to get rid of the magma stack as well.
Does this even work and what about all the masterworks, which I will leave there. Cheap stone coffins, engravings etc. I guess there will be some destructive tantrum coming along. Any other idea?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:34:04 pm by Nekudotayim »
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Effective way to destroy a fortress.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:12 pm »

Masterpieces only matter to living dwarves.  If the creator is dead, they cannot tantrum.

You should use a Support to cause directed cave-ins.  Build a support under or above the fort (it can hold it up from either direction) and then link it to a lever.  Pull lever, support vanishes.  Instant safe cave-in.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »

Give your fortress guards BATTLE AXES then put all your masterwork items, booze, pets and children under a drawbridge and pull the ascociated lever.    Watch as dwarven Insanity does all the work for you.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:20 pm »

That's a lot of work for a cave in...

Yea they are all alive and legendary on their skills. :/

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »

Give your fortress guards BATTLE AXES then put all your masterwork items, booze, pets and children under a drawbridge and pull the ascociated lever.    Watch as dwarven Insanity does all the work for you.

Are they destroying the caves too and not just the items?

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:56 pm »

Mine the z level below the furthest down portion of your fort. Make sure you mine at least your forts max width/length, then build a support. After that, start channeling down along the edges until you hit the mined out z level with the support.Once everything is disconnected, set up a lever or have a dwarf deconstruct the support.

A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!

And your fort will fall into a hole.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:04 pm »

If you have some water you could fill it up with obsidian.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!