Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More to a RTS  (Read 2448 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More to a RTS
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:32:55 am »

Any Imam can call a jihad if you're playing as an islamic sultanate.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 10:36:54 am »

Ah cool, I'll have to try that out if I ever install that game on this laptop. Only total war game I've got installed on my current laptop is Empire: TW.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:21 am »

My strategy in this game was "place a bunch of turrets at a bottleneck, build up units and rush those units to another bottleneck, build turrets at that bottleneck whilst the units defend them, rinse and repeat until level is finished".

It was basically the only way to win, too.

I think I did that more in the second series, but it has been years. I cant get either to run on stupid Vista 64. I remember using my heroes and the avatar as the main fighting force, but I would have to give it another go to see
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 11:08:21 am »

Ohh I loved medevil total war 2 is was soo good BUT I hated the 200 turns maximum >,> by the time I had built up my army of assassins and diplomats I had run out of terns and lost :@. Any one know if I can change the game so that I have no turn limit?.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:41 am »

Edit: Nevermind

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:49 am »

there is always a time limit in all total war games, to stop you from crossing into a new era..so you are not playing roman era tech in the 1400's ect.

However, there are several mods that add extra turns, they do like 4 turns per year so you end up with 500 or so turns to win.

I could be wrong about these mods becuase I have not played them in a long time, but I think the following have 4 turns per year:

if you have kingdoms try out Stainless Steel, Rusichi total war, and dues lo vult http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=66c657f8dd264aba6ac1758000e6c7d0&f=556

for MTW2 I think broken crescent has elongated years/more turns http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »

TW time limits are lame.  I don't care if it doesn't fit with the timeline for real life....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »

TW time limits are lame.  I don't care if it doesn't fit with the timeline for real life....

Same I just want to get rid of the time limit I could not care if I ended up in the year 3000 :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

After looking at A Game of Thrones and reading how it’s going to play and have the player’s not just try to take over the game just through war but also the player can use politics and economics as a advantage to and can just use these to win the game.

so I’m just wondering are there any RTS or any sort of Strategy game which also follow this and aren’t just slug fests of who can get the most units in the quickest time.

Settlers 7
Victoria 2

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 02:18:39 pm »

Same I just want to get rid of the time limit I could not care if I ended up in the year 3000 :P

In respect to this, even with fairly well balanced units and positions at the start..one or two nations just end up steam rolling eveyone else, so by turn 400+, if you have not expanded much you will end up having a very hard time digging out the 1 or two dominate armies..they will end up having massive stacks of troops and agents everywhere, so really slow games kind of clogs the system up. by turn 1000 or something, the amount of idle units would cause the game engine to implode or something lol

Now this is not true of Rusichi total war (Kingdoms mod), for the most part, this is the slowest feeling, perhaps most realistic version of total war I have played. In it the real danger is rebels, faction leader death is a major event that can fracture your holdings to the point where you are outnumbered by rebels and have to wage a protracted and bitter war of attrition just to get back to where you were on turn one..then the mongols show up and pave roads with your skulls...
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 07:17:10 pm »

May not be what your looking for exactly, and they are single player only as far as I remember. But winning is not so much about spaming units and zerging as it is about the story and taking and holding objectives, and leveling up you avatar

My strategy in this game was "place a bunch of turrets at a bottleneck, build up units and rush those units to another bottleneck, build turrets at that bottleneck whilst the units defend them, rinse and repeat until level is finished".

It was basically the only way to win, too.

Later on as the necromancer there was a more humourous way to win. You just built archers up while defending your town, then spammed workers. Once you get a massive group, kill them all and use the raise dead spell 3 times before the corpses disappear. You can run through the entire game with that strategy because the bosses can't get to your harder units because your little minions are blocking them.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 03:20:32 am »

Someone brought up Rome: Total War without mentioning Europa Barbarorum? For shame.

EB fleshes out the barbarian factions and adds more gameplay features.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 [2]