Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More to a RTS  (Read 2440 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
More to a RTS
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:03:52 am »

After looking at A Game of Thrones and reading how it’s going to play and have the player’s not just try to take over the game just through war but also the player can use politics and economics as a advantage to and can just use these to win the game.

so I’m just wondering are there any RTS or any sort of Strategy game which also follow this and aren’t just slug fests of who can get the most units in the quickest time.

also A Game of Thrones looks very good i really want it and a few sceen shots have come out recently for it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:26:20 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More to a RTS
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:50:47 am »

Link to the afore mentioned game?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:51:00 am »

Ground control and Star Ruler

Ground control has no unit production, just small unit tactics, so no slug fest

Star Rulers combat strategy is more bias towards intellegent ship design than production efficiency. It also features politics and economics

Most 4x games feature politics and economics heavily, but dont tend to be rts or as action orientated. The most RTS like 4x is Sins of a Solar Empire.

The Total war series would also probably meet your requirements.

but most, i guess what you could call Comand and Conquer, or Dune II clones, your traditional RTS, dont tend to go beyond base building and unit pumping
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:59:11 am »

Sins of a Solar Empire sort of fills what you want. There is a big economical and political portion of the game, and it is possible to win via peace with every empire or your culture becoming the one dominating culture. Also, there is a bit of unit pumping, and one of the race specializes in it (Humans), but for the most part it is about good fleet makeup and Capital Ship control, along with positioning of the battle.

Gah, I havent played that game in forever.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:53 am »

Perimeter...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:10:07 am »

Ground control

That fit's more into the catagory of RTTs

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:16:33 am »

Link to the afore mentioned game?

sorry here are the links to the Rock paper shotgun preview:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/16/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-screenshots/

and heres the ign page:
http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/081/081104.html

A game of thrones really does look very good this is one of the few titles i really want to get my hands on ASAP

also sins was a good game and it seemed good but the politics in it were very under developed and could not have done much with them and will look at the other games. but really want sometihng in where was is an option but so is politics economic stranglehold and sort of covert ops as well.

EDIT: just looked at ground control and looks really good and the bonus is theres a second one which also looks very good :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:19:26 am by ScriptWolf »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:20:56 am »

Damn, Now I want it too.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:25:55 am »

Damn, Now I want it too.

haha :D, it does look really good and begin a RTS and it looks like it might be a 4X as well, but i like the idea of ruling a House and then trying to take over the whole the whole world where its set. and i like it that you can ever win through political moves ( maybe marriages and stuff) and also through an economic strangle hold on the whole land! so players are not forced to focus on a army, which suite me well cause i like to turtle and scheme in my games and also like going for assassination and politics and that sort of stuff .

also its based of a book, which i am now in the middle of buying :P   

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:15 am »

May not be what your looking for exactly, and they are single player only as far as I remember. But winning is not so much about spaming units and zerging as it is about the story and taking and holding objectives, and leveling up you avatar

Spellforce 1 and 2 http://www.spellforce.com/

Think they are on steam as well

I thought the first one (the order of dawn) and its addons were better than the second. Basicly this is a rts/rpg blend, and your avatar can select from a large range of skills and abilities. It has a few different classes to pick from as well. Each stage or mission in the game has lots of subquests, some of which are puzzles, others are more story related. I thought both were wonderful, and underrated
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:17:47 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:41:42 am »

Battleships forever

all you have is just a bunch of ships you selected at the Ship selection screen and your tactics, so no slug fests

It's single player, tho, but atleast it doesn't contain Giant Armies and extreme Unit pumping

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:10 am »

kinda looking for a game where you control a empire any sort of genre really, kinda like imperium nova woudl be cool

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:17 am »

May not be what your looking for exactly, and they are single player only as far as I remember. But winning is not so much about spaming units and zerging as it is about the story and taking and holding objectives, and leveling up you avatar

My strategy in this game was "place a bunch of turrets at a bottleneck, build up units and rush those units to another bottleneck, build turrets at that bottleneck whilst the units defend them, rinse and repeat until level is finished".

It was basically the only way to win, too.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:12 am »

Emperor of the Fading Suns, is the only one i ever found in this direction. YOu choose one of the five houses and try to make yourself emperor, stop the traders from becoming a republic, stop the church from burning you as a heretic and not to forget the alien race knocking on your door and some tyranid swarm like thing overrunning the universe and all that in space...

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 10:30:23 am »

The Total War series may be of interest to you.
http://www.totalwar.com/

Its a historical strategy series where one is put in charge of a country and is tasked with expanding and protecting one's empire from foreign invaders and domestic turmoil (such as rebellions and worker strikes).

There are two parts to the campaigns: The overworld map where one moves around nobles, diplomats, assassins, clergy, and armies from place to place, while managing cities and conducting diplomacy; this part of the game is turn-based (I.E. The Hapsburgs move all their units, then Venice, then Ottomans, ect (no idea if this is the actual order... probably not). The second part of the game is the battles that take place in real time with a large number of combatants (though easily controlled as they're grouped together in units).
Here's a youtube video of a Rome: Total War battle I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjoUUS9PHaQ

Just to quickly discuss the games in the series I've played...

Rome: Total War takes place during the rise of the Roman Empire. Starting as one of three Roman Factions, one must build an empire spanning Europe and the Mediterranean and eventually claim Rome for your faction.

The Barbarian Invasion expansion adds, well, barbarian invaders. And night battles... seeing hundreds of torches moving in on your outpost can be a little intimidating  :P . Its set during the decline of the Roman Empire, with the empire split between east and west and invaders coming from the east. You can play as one of the emerging nations, such as the Franks or Gauls, the west or east part of the Roman Empire, or as one of the invading hordes.

In Medieval: Total War II one is placed in charge of a kingdom in either Europe or the Middle East and is charged with building an empire. A fun addition is that of Crusades and Jihads where the Pope or Caliph (I think its the Caliph... I haven't played an Islamic country in the campaign yet to be honest) decides that a place needs to be conquered and invites all relevant countries to join the crusade/jihad and conquer it. Religion fuels a lot of the game's politics, as keeping the Pope happy is the best way to avoid having a crusade called against you (which can happen if you invade one of your Christian neighbors or decline to make peace... and yes, having a crusade called against you suuuucks!  :P) and being able to request a crusade of your own is useful. Joining a crusade gains you favor with the Pope. Of course if your Cardinals and diplomats have enough influence, you can influence Papal elections to get a Pope favorable to your kingdom (if not from your kingdom) appointed.

Empire: Total War is set during the 18th century. The campaign map is much larger, as it now includes more of Russia/Middle East/Africa, India, and the Americas. This game adds gunpowder units and naval battles (in previous games the winner of a naval conflict would be resolved automatically by the computer).

The games in the series I haven't played but will mention include Shogun: Total War (feudal Japan), Medieval: Total War 1, the Alexander the great expansion for Rome total war, and Napoleon: Total War. Shogun: Total War II is coming out in March.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:34:47 am by Flying Carcass »
Pages: [1] 2