Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TallowSplosion?  (Read 1522 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TallowSplosion?
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

SO MUCH RENDERED FAT

What do I do with it all? I could make soap constructs for teh lolz, but anything else?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: TallowSplosion?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:52 pm »

Trade it.

Best solution is to make a giant statue with it.

I suggest a sword.

Or maybe an !!ELF!!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »

Build a statue of farm animals, with each animal consisting of its own tallow  :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »

Build a statue of farm animals, with each animal consisting of its own tallow  :P

Oooh... Good one.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:49:07 pm »

This is why I dump and forbid all fat.  It's just far to inefficient in terms of labor and storage space for what little use the tallow is.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »

I usually make all of my tallow into soap. If I have an abundance (like after killing a megabeast), I'll cook most of it. I hate wasting resources, regardless of how cheap and crappy they are :(

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:01:37 pm »

Tallow roasts for everybody!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »

I have multiple kitchens, and suspend the "render fat" job at all but one, so I can still cook meals.

Fat rendering is bugged in that it only renders one piece at a time, rather than rendering the entire stack. Large stack sizes also slow the process down, so it is near impossible to render the fat[70] from a forgotten beast.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 06:24:08 pm »

You can turn auto-rendering off, I think. It's in workshop options somewhere.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 06:28:13 pm »

You can turn auto-rendering off, I think. It's in workshop options somewhere.
o-W gives me a menu for that, but I can only remove auto-kitchen by removing auto-butcher and auto-fishery with it.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 06:36:52 pm »

Build a tower out of it.  I'm working on a crundle soap hut.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:11:08 pm »

o-W gives me a menu for that, but I can only remove auto-kitchen by removing auto-butcher and auto-fishery with it.
You might want to report that on the bug tracker, because that doesn't sound intentional.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »

Train a new cook.  Prepare Easy Meal - Cow Tallow Roast[4] on repeat.  Easy training, easy food, otherwise that's about it really.  Or mod a custom reaction to do something Fun with it?

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 08:01:53 pm »

Dig a pit 10 z levels deep in your entryway, insulate its walls and floor with soap. Fill it 5 z levels high with water. Build a retracting overtop of it, and pull the lever whenever ANYTHING tries to enter the fort.

Scream "THE UNCLEAN SHALL NOT ENTER!" Every. Single. Time.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:04:08 pm »

Dig a pit 10 z levels deep in your entryway, insulate its walls and floor with soap. Fill it 5 z levels high with water. Build a retracting overtop of it, and pull the lever whenever ANYTHING tries to enter the fort.

Scream "THE UNCLEAN SHALL NOT ENTER!" Every. Single. Time.

I will do this. Only, On a larger scale, A whole TOWER of soap, to get tot he top, you have to wade through water, and at the top you're dropped into a big drowning pit littered with bars of soap