Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone know of any games good for roleplaying?  (Read 3971 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know of any games good for roleplaying?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 04:29:16 pm »

More MU*s, especially the non-MUD ones.  If you have a time machine, the MUSHes that were around in the 90s were the best, and I highly recommend them.  (If only I could keep them in bottles in my cellar.)  MUCKs are also passable, depending on your interests.  Heh.  But yeah MUSHes, absolutely.

From another thread, Alpha Centauri has a lot of good RP material for PBEM games.  Surely not what you think you're looking for, but it might be worth a shot if you like the game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »

I find Imperium Nova (my galaxy at least, Baade) is pretty much entirely in character. Heavy political RP.

VERY slow paced though... so not a good one to sit down for a long RP session with. More like, check in, set up some facilities/trade routes/whatever your focus is, check your embassy, check the senate, check the forums... and then wait.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 07:05:52 pm »

More MU*s, especially the non-MUD ones.  If you have a time machine, the MUSHes that were around in the 90s were the best, and I highly recommend them.  (If only I could keep them in bottles in my cellar.)  MUCKs are also passable, depending on your interests.  Heh.  But yeah MUSHes, absolutely.
I love the way you've gone on about the differing quality between MUDs, MUSHes and MUCKs...
Since, actually, there isn't a dictionary-worthy definition between them...

When I started working on my MU* I actually posted on a forum: "I'm working on some sort of MU*, but I can't work out what type!"
So, yeah.
MUDs are great, but you just gotta find the right one. Which is damned difficult...
Unless someone starts a Dwarf Fortress MUD? Heheh!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

I love the way you've gone on about the differing quality between MUDs, MUSHes and MUCKs...
That's completely incorrect, actually, since about 1990 or so.  MUSH refers to TinyMUSH codebases (and MUX before it was merged back in), which have no hardcoded combat systems and only a simple functional programming language.  Some of them have some pretty in-depth softcoded stuff to support whatever combat systems they choose to use, but a lot of them don't.  In practice, and subjectively, many MUSHes are fairly small places with a strict character approval process, and strict cooperative storytelling (everyone is involved, not competitive, but must conform to the setting).  Conflict resolution is usually cooperative or GM-mediated.  On most MUSHes, if one character seems overly powerful and is dominating the game, you talk to an admin.  Pretty much every MUSH gives some minor programming and (often) very minor building abilities to the players.  Almost no MUSH runs on a modified hard-coded codebase.

MUCK refers to fbMUCK, ProtoMUCK, and other similar derivative codebases.  Again they have no hardcoded combat system, but since the mid-90s they have a compiled FORTH-based programming language in addition to a softcoded functional language like MUSH.  It gives them the ability to handle combat and other things that MUSH just plain can't do; they're usually more technically advanced.  In practice, and subjectively, many MUSHes are larger and more open communities with less-strict character approval processes, and storytelling that is usually cooperative but often more loose or completely disjoint.  Conflict resolution is almost exclusively cooperative.  On most MUCKs, if one character seems overly powerful and is dominating the game, you ignore them because their world and yours probably don't intersect at all and they couldn't do anything to you even if they wanted to.  MUCKs frequently give substantial building abilities to players.

MUD refers to places with hardcoded combat.  Programming is usually something that the players never see.  There's a spectrum of MUDs from 'strict roleplay' to 'loose, socializing roleplay' to 'no theme to roleplay in at all', but conflict resolution is almost exclusively handled by the game mechanics.

So yeah.  MUSH/MUCKs are sort of like each other, but completely different from MUDs.  MUCK : MUD :: Second Life : World of Warcraft.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:42:52 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:41 pm »

Hehe, nice to see new replies to my old thread. I've still been looking for games.

Harshlands is a RP enforced mud.

Oooh, I've heard of that, but never got around to playing it. I'll add it to my list.

If you like a well written story and some good roleplaying coupled with action, I can highly suggest the Witcher. The game book has a very dark (and refreshing) approach to fantasy. (The books are also a great read if you're into that paper thing ::))

Yeah, I've played through the game and quite enjoyed it. I didn't even know there were books, however. I'll look them up.

And for anyone else who also enjoys Roleplaying as much as I do, I've garnered interest in a mush that I'm quickly becoming betrothed to after perusing the wiki for a couple of hours last night, though I haven't actually gotten around to properly joining it yet. That would require time! (Which I only have at the weekends.)
The link is here. it looks quite interesting, and seems to aim for good fantasy deliverance and focus soulfully on Roleplay. (Since it's a MUSH, there aren't any stats besides character sheets and dice commands, meaning no scripted combat system!)

EDIT:
I find Imperium Nova (my galaxy at least, Baade) is pretty much entirely in character. Heavy political RP.

VERY slow paced though... so not a good one to sit down for a long RP session with. More like, check in, set up some facilities/trade routes/whatever your focus is, check your embassy, check the senate, check the forums... and then wait.

Oh yeah, I started playing that. I'm on Baade, too! I only started yesterday. Evaness house.

Jerimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 10:58:37 pm »

Hazordhu II would be a great game to RP in if it had more than two players on at one time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:58 am »

Vampire the Masquerade has a Roleplaying system.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 07:43:53 am »

When I started working on my MU* I actually posted on a forum: "I'm working on some sort of MU*, but I can't work out what type!"
So, yeah.
MUDs are great, but you just gotta find the right one. Which is damned difficult...
Unless someone starts a Dwarf Fortress MUD? Heheh!

Someone has, but to my knowledge, the project is dead in the water.

I'm working on another mu*. Based mostly on Dresden Files and Warehouse 13. My last mu* I made, based o Naruto is still going strong after 5 years now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 08:25:14 am »

If you like the setting, then I would recommend Lord of the Rings Online, Landroval server (the unoffical RP server).

Best bet is to head to the Prancing Pony in Bree and you'll find lots of roleplayers, especially if it is after 5pm EST (US).

I don't have time to play right now myself, but I've had lots of fun with pick-up RP groups, but there are kinship wars and other interesting organized affairs, there is even an established RP pvp rule set that uses player dice rolls. Of course there is much more to it than rppvp.

There are assholes just like anywhere else, but most people are forgiving if your not a Tolkien scholar, just as long as your willing to learn and take advice. I knew next to nothing about the setting, other than the movies, and still had a damn good time.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: 1 [2]