Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone know of any games good for roleplaying?  (Read 3964 times)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Anyone know of any games good for roleplaying?
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »

I am cursed, Other Games. Cursed to sincerely enjoy an area of gaming that is probably the hardest to satiate than all other areas of gaming.
I love to roleplay. Not in the sense of RPGs and stat building, but taking on the persona of an imaginary character and playing that role in another reality. I've played a lot of roleplaying games in my time, most of them quite good, but now I am having trouble finding any more, and I wondered if anyone from OG knew of any that would entertain me.

I have no problem in what medium the game is, I've played MU*s as well as graphical games. I don't mind if they're mods for other full retail games, but please don't suggest Garry's Mod. I've tried that, and it is far below the quality of RP that I am looking for. Oh, and of course, it must be multiplayer.
I hope that my request isn't too difficult, and I hope OG can help me in my plight.

Thanks.

Games that I have already played:
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Garry's Mod
Numerous MU*s

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know of any games good for roleplaying?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »

Any table top RPG with a good group, is great for roleplaying.

Find a genre you like, and head over to a hobby store or rpol.net and start playing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:12 pm »

ninja'd.
Basically paraphrasing Sartre, "roleplaying is other people". We have a subforum for that (I know forum roleplaying very suboptimal, and you really should play face to face for the best experience, but you should still give it a try).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »

Haha I just posted this game on the MMO topic above literally 30 seconds ago. Nonetheless I recommend http://www.cantr.net/. Only MMO I've really been able to Role Play in.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »

Space station 13
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:37 pm »

I was reading this thread thinking "gosh, I wish I knew of such a game."..
Then it struck me, that, actually, I do!

Freelancer's Discovery mod has not only a massive amount of game expansion, it's also entirely oriented towards RP.
I've heard a few complaints about the scale of justice versus crime on it, but as long as you're not wishing to play as a trade vessel then that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I myself haven't played on the official Discovery servers, mainly because I'm not keen on having to re-immerse myself in a new community, but I hear they're good.
Heck, they've gotta be better than Garry's Mod.

('Course, you may not want a spaceship-oriented story, but I figured it was worth letting you know at least.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »

I'd like to suggest Imperium Nova. It's free and browser-based, and although I don't really take part in it, I've noticed that roleplaying is pretty big on the forums.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:37 pm »

I'd like to suggest Imperium Nova. It's free and browser-based, and although I don't really take part in it, I've noticed that roleplaying is pretty big on the forums.
From my short term on the game, I would say its a the larger part of the game. The IC drama is pretty good for my galaxy thus far. We've had a crazy emperor, Renegade noble houses, and the largest power block may perhaps the biggest evil ever. A planet recently made public was found to have slavery legal, even though several IC years ago, slavery was made illegal the galaxy over. And the largest powerblock was the governor of the planet.

Popcorn eating stuff really. Glacierly paced popcorn, but still fun.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:03 pm »

http://armageddon.org/

I've tried almost everything I can find for RP.  As far as I'm concerned, this is the absolute best.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:23:24 am »

baystation 12

Lovely role-play quality may wary at diff timezones.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:31:34 am »

NWN 1 is still the hands-down best role playing around. I know it was on your list but there are many persistent worlds to play in, each with it's own style and set of players.

Until someone makes another game that allows people to build their world and give them tools to DM (gamemaster whatever) that world and create atmosphere for the players, you wont find better. I hope someday that happens, because the NWN 1 engine is old and could use some improvements.
I got nothing

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:32 am »

Hah, thank you for all the responses, I didn't expect to get that many.

Any table top RPG with a good group, is great for roleplaying.

Find a genre you like, and head over to a hobby store or rpol.net and start playing.

I've always loved DnD, but it is extremely hard to find where I live (Southern UK), but I will check out that site. Thank you.

ninja'd.
Basically paraphrasing Sartre, "roleplaying is other people". We have a subforum for that (I know forum roleplaying very suboptimal, and you really should play face to face for the best experience, but you should still give it a try).

I've never been too much for forum rp, It has always been very slow for me. However, knowing the quality of Bay12, I will check it out as well.

Haha I just posted this game on the MMO topic above literally 30 seconds ago. Nonetheless I recommend http://www.cantr.net/. Only MMO I've really been able to Role Play in.

Heh, I have heard of this too. Sadly, it is actually slower than forum RP, but nonetheless, I will take the time to have another go at it.

Space station 13

I cannot find the quality of RP I am looking for on Goonstation. Only very few times have I actually had a good round wherein people have roleplayed, and even then it was after a lot of rounds that were not so great. Thank you for the suggestion, but, I don't think SS13 is what I am looking for.

I was reading this thread thinking "gosh, I wish I knew of such a game."..
Then it struck me, that, actually, I do!

Freelancer's Discovery mod has not only a massive amount of game expansion, it's also entirely oriented towards RP.
I've heard a few complaints about the scale of justice versus crime on it, but as long as you're not wishing to play as a trade vessel then that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I myself haven't played on the official Discovery servers, mainly because I'm not keen on having to re-immerse myself in a new community, but I hear they're good.
Heck, they've gotta be better than Garry's Mod.

('Course, you may not want a spaceship-oriented story, but I figured it was worth letting you know at least.)

I recall a friend of mine telling me about Discovery. Good thing I still have a copy of Freelancer lying around somewhere. Thank you very much for the suggestion, and no, it doesn't matter at all what setting it's in, as long as the roleplay is enjoyable!

Ooh, never heard of that one. I'll go look at it in a moment. Thank you for the suggestion.

http://armageddon.org/

I've tried almost everything I can find for RP.  As far as I'm concerned, this is the absolute best.

Yes. Armageddon is good, but I have played it for quite a long time. But I will take another look, just because it really is that good.

NWN 1 is still the hands-down best role playing around. I know it was on your list but there are many persistent worlds to play in, each with it's own style and set of players.

Until someone makes another game that allows people to build their world and give them tools to DM (gamemaster whatever) that world and create atmosphere for the players, you wont find better. I hope someday that happens, because the NWN 1 engine is old and could use some improvements.

Yeah, I've been playing NWN 1 for a very long time, as well as NWN 2. I've even hosted a few of my own campaigns in both NWN games for my friends. I have played on most, dare I say all of the big persistant worlds on both games, and I'm sure you'll forgive me when I say that after all of this time the game becomes a little stale. The RP is great, I do not complain about that, it is just that when you've played something for so long, seen all of the effects, creatures, dungeon tiles, placeables etc a million times, it wears down your enthusiasm a little.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:55:24 am »

Space station 13

I cannot find the quality of RP I am looking for on Goonstation. Only very few times have I actually had a good round wherein people have roleplayed, and even then it was after a lot of rounds that were not so great. Thank you for the suggestion, but, I don't think SS13 is what I am looking for.

Try BayStation 12 instead.

Link in my sig.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

django623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »

Harshlands is a RP enforced mud.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »

If you like a well written story and some good roleplaying coupled with action, I can highly suggest the Witcher. The game book has a very dark (and refreshing) approach to fantasy. (The books are also a great read if you're into that paper thing ::))
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>
Pages: [1] 2