Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Apartment Block Designs?  (Read 4608 times)

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
Re: Apartment Block Designs?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »

I don't give my dwarves rooms. They seem happy with a 1 tile bedroom aslong as its on an smooth master engraved tile.
Whack the odd superior+ statue and you have ecstatic dwarves, providing nothing else goes wrong of course. :)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 02:05:14 pm »

I built a set of apartments that were designed to cram their occupants into 2x1 blocks with windows.

I've got a four four-story blocks of these that house ten dwarves in a 9X9 area.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-23872-thecityapartments

Nice design though i find it takes more time to construct housing like that in a tower than underground and a lot more material. Might be something worth trying to house my military close to the barracks area

In terms of time required to build, above-ground stuff is almost always inferior to below-ground stuff that performs the same purpose. The reason why I build them anyway is because they look great in visualizers. To achieve the same level of awe-inspiringness as an above-ground fort with many tall, distinctive buildings, a below-ground fort needs to have dug out multi-layer halls or arranged its rooms in efficient/beautiful patterns.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a variant on the "whirlpool" housing from the bedroom design page, and fits 24 apartments into an easily-tileable 24x24 block
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »

I usually end up making Castes for each of the larger industries. One for Wood, Rock, Metal, Food, Crafts (Gems, Crafts and such) and a mixed one for the rest depending on my mood.

Each Caste will have it's own little mini society complete with apartments, dining halls, workshop and such. Each Caste branching off from a grand central staircase (which I like to think of as a giant spiral staircase penetrating my entire fort from top to bottom).

But as for actual designs, I lean towards the Greek Cross type of design with some variance for nobles and legendary (or bloodlines). :)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>
Pages: 1 [2]