Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apartment Block Designs?  (Read 4609 times)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apartment Block Designs?
« on: December 28, 2010, 02:03:14 pm »

I've started building apartment towers for my more useful dwarfs to live in. I'm sure a lot of you have done this as well and could share layouts and designs.

The layout im currently using
Ground Floor                         First - Fourteenth Floor

If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apartment Block Designs?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 02:05:26 pm »

i hate diagonal doors.  Also faster to use up/down staircases instead of ramps for this kind of structure.  pretty cool though, I've never done this.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:02 pm »

i hate diagonal doors.  Also faster to use up/down staircases instead of ramps for this kind of structure.  pretty cool though, I've never done this.

Yeah I don't like the diagonals either but couldnt resist the extra 4 rooms a floor. They are up and down stairs?
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »

They are up and down stairs?

misread the ascii   :-X
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »

My only rule that I have when making rooms for dwarves, is that each gets their own door, so if I happen to dislike one, I can quietly dispatch him by locking his door.

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »

I currently have a single 3-tile hallway with corridors branching out on three z-levels using ramps. I could post screenshots, but it's quite messy in my current fortress with stones still lying around and half-smoothed rooms.

Btw, is there a good free program to make fake DF screenshots? Using normal text editors tends to be quite tedious with all these special characters.
EDIT: Scratch that; found what I wanted, didn't like it. No reason to derail this thread any further.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:11:50 pm by Gorm »
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »

I currently have a single 3-tile hallway with corridors branching out on three z-levels using ramps. I could post screenshots, but it's quite messy in my current fortress with stones still lying around and half-smoothed rooms.

Btw, is there a good free program to make fake DF screenshots? Using normal text editors tends to be quite tedious with all these special characters.

I just use win7 snipping tool. dont know of any though sorry

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »

I usually make rooms for each of my dwarves, if possible. Unless they are nobles and require better accomidations, I try to make every room with 2x2 walkable space and a door. If I have to mess it up by mining something out, I may compensate by adding a window instead of a constructed wall. Bonus points if 2 or more rooms share the window.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:45:45 pm »

I'm a big fan of the 48x "greek cross" design... simple and effective:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:VaniverGreek48.png

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:04:02 pm »

I built a set of apartments that were designed to cram their occupants into 2x1 blocks with windows.

I've got a four four-story blocks of these that house ten dwarves in a 9X9 area.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-23872-thecityapartments
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 04:50:53 pm »

Most elegant apartments I've ever built were probably these.  As usual, I opted for aesthetics over efficiency and refused to use diagonal passageways.

btw that's a pretty awesome fort, darkflagrance.  I've kinda wanted to make a fort with a short-lived (and hence multigenerational) race for a while, how'd you like it?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »

Most elegant apartments I've ever built were probably these.  As usual, I opted for aesthetics over efficiency and refused to use diagonal passageways.

btw that's a pretty awesome fort, darkflagrance.  I've kinda wanted to make a fort with a short-lived (and hence multigenerational) race for a while, how'd you like it?

That was actually the third fort I'd attempted with that race. When I created these forts, I was also trying to maximize fps, so I set a population cap of 50; migrants stopped after I hit that number, so after the first 20 years all the fortress inhabitants except the nobility was born on-site. A multi-generational fort has a sense of history and presence that a fortress of dwarven migrants lacks. You have to encourage marriage so that there is a next generation at all. You actually care about children because most of your future champions will be drawn from this pool. Your artisans become more important because whatever work they do is on a time limit and you have to train up new ones from scratch. However, you can trace down the lineages of individuals you cared about and watch ancient houses merge into each other or die out completely. It adds more flavor to the game beyond the simple mega-constructions.

At some point though, the number of coffins becomes overwhelming. I had been exposing the remains of most of my dead on roofs until they vanished into nothingness to save on room for coffins. My dead list was choked. If I make a fort like this in 31.0x, I'll plan out a city of the dead under the fort.

...So as not to be completely off-topic:
In the fort I posted, I was trying to maximize the number of rooms I could cram into a 9x9 space so that I could plan out blocks for my cities. Some of the other buildings show my other apartment designs for more valued members of the fort...like nobles.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:50:55 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 08:01:24 pm »

The apartment complex for Pickstandards:http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-26236-apartmentcomplex

Carved out like a big block with a hole in the middle, like a square donut, so that many apartments could get a window. None of the windows are actually built yet, but they're getting there. :P

As for the staircases and ramps: These are the only real miniscule steps of effeciency I set up for this particular fortress. With the way the ramps are made, if you were to go from a room on one side of the hall to a room on the other side of the hall, you would use the same amount of steps no matter if it was to be on the same level as your room or the one above it (or below it, depending on which floor you're on. Only works in pairs of twos). It's not really a lot gained, considering the massive and clumsy spiral staircase and general allotment of rooms, but I think it looks cool.

Not all of the rooms are carved out, built or occupied, simply because I don't have the need to (not enough dorfs). I'd probably end up building some sort of monument on the bottom square, whether a small statue or a (magma?) fountain, who knows.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:06 am »

I built a set of apartments that were designed to cram their occupants into 2x1 blocks with windows.

I've got a four four-story blocks of these that house ten dwarves in a 9X9 area.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-23872-thecityapartments

Nice design though i find it takes more time to construct housing like that in a tower than underground and a lot more material. Might be something worth trying to house my military close to the barracks area

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:18:40 pm »

I don't create housing complexes anymore.
I find it's better to just put bedrooms around the workshops, to cut down commute distances.
Pages: [1] 2