Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Megaproject Under Construction- The Hanging Gardens of Wanerock  (Read 2631 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Under Construction- The Hanging Gardens of Wanerock
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »

All right.  "The Hanging Gardens of Wanerock, which are, for various reasons, in a big pit in the ground," it is.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »

They're dwarves. Everything amounts to a "pit in the ground". Even when it's completely above ground.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:44 pm »

I've added a couple of pics, demonstrating a small basic model (two pillars) to demonstrate to my satisfaction that what I'm trying to do is possible.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »

Sorry for everyone raining on your parade, or drought-ing on your garden, or what have you.  We're helping you along, in our own way.  xD

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

Sorry for everyone raining on your parade, or drought-ing on your garden, or what have you.  We're helping you along, in our own way.  xD

Oh no, it's just as well.  It'd be much more disappointing (although perhaps also more Dwarfy) to find out that I couldn't do it after building it.

Although I could always make a hanging Sculpture Garden.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 04:24:30 am »

A sculpture garden is a garden of sorts, and potentially much more dwarfy than plants... Perhaps you could use your platinum for the statues. Or make one statue in every craftable metal, all masterwork or artifacts of course.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 04:55:14 am »

building a roof only marks a tile as inside. a tile with a roof built over it is still above ground, meaning no subterranean crops.
Is it bug or feature?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 08:27:16 am »

when you create a cave in, does it only punch through floors if theres a tunnel underneath, or can walls be built up high, natural rock caved in intentionally on top to reform into natural rock walls [is that possible even? I read something about cave ins turning all the rock falling into individual tile rocks until landing then reforming together...] and create a natural "roof" by using a huge amount of scaffolds and artificial walls to hold the rock up high when it caves down.
would something like this work...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
oh, alternative idea if the above doesn't work, what about a small obsidian casing over where you want to plant the garden if the above idea doesn't work? Or would an obsidian cast have the revealed to sun issue as well as a roof would?

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.
Pages: 1 [2]