Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megaproject Under Construction- The Hanging Gardens of Wanerock  (Read 2635 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject Under Construction- The Hanging Gardens of Wanerock
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

So, I've decided to finally stop thinking about doing it, and actually go an build a mega(ish) project, and I've elected to take a note from the Seven Wonders of the World (before they recounted them, I don't know if it's still included) and construct a hanging garden.  Out of platinum.

Basically, I'm going to build four pillars, of as yet undetermined size, and then, through applications of Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! figure out whether I can have a structure, attached to the pillars only at the top one or two z levels, but with the actual garden rather below that.  After that, I'll need some sort of scaffolding to get my dwarves above the garden so that I can dump water onto it, allowing growth.  Unfortunately, plant options being what they are, it'll be more of a "Hanging Meadow/Forest/Farm," but I figure natural tree growth studded with strawberry plants should count, right?

Anyways, mostly posting this so I'm committed to doing it and don't just get bored and start working on something else.  Any advice from veteran megaprojecteers?

Update:  I've included images of the Proof of Concept, for purposes of record keeping.  I don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but I'm building the structure from first principals, so the first thing I did was to build a much smaller version of it, the idea being to make sure that what I'm trying to do on a larger scale is possible.  TL;DNR, it is.
Spoiler: Proof of Concept (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:19:23 pm by Don Blake »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Under Construction- The Hanging Gardens of Wanerock
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:13:43 pm »

Do you actually have the platinum stockpiled in a big enough quantity to complete the project? Because if the answer is "no," then you should reconsider your choice of building materials.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:15:03 pm »

Do you actually have the platinum stockpiled in a big enough quantity to complete the project? Because if the answer is "no," then you should reconsider your choice of building materials.

No, unfortunately.  I do have some in the caverns, and I've been buying both bars and nuggets from all the races that will sell them to me, but my stock are still rather low.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:19:51 pm »

Build it from chalk.
Chalk is gooood.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:49:14 pm »

Is this at all influenced by the upcoming grass update, which may or may not allow us to plant flowers and kinds of grass?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »

Is this at all influenced by the upcoming grass update, which may or may not allow us to plant flowers and kinds of grass?

That's partly where the idea came from, yes.

Hmm.  Lacking chalk, and though I'm in the process of stockpiling platinum, it might take a while, since what's in the caves is limited and caravans bring me about three a year (two bars and a nugget, I'll try requesting it as a higher priority) perhaps a hybrid of materials?  Partly platnium, partly clear glass, partly marble?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »

All marble.

Also, aboveground crops can't grow on constructions, so you're going to have to carve space for the pillars out of the ground, build the pillars, connect them to the center part, then carve away the ground around it to make the actual garden.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:57:22 pm »

All marble.

Also, aboveground crops can't grow on constructions, so you're going to have to carve space for the pillars out of the ground, build the pillars, connect them to the center part, then carve away the ground around it to make the actual garden.

Even muddied constructions?  Hmm.  Good to know, thank you.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:20:14 pm »

For the record, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are indeed still counted as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:57:45 pm »

You can make a hanging constructed bowl out of whatever suspended by a magma proof support,  then fill it with magma and water to form "natural" obsidian inside your constructed bowl,   and muddy that so that plants can grow on it
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:23:26 pm »

Aboveground plants actually can't grow on any rock, constructed or natural. They also can't grow on constructions made of any other material. They need soil.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 05:14:05 pm »

Bonus: dig out the whole surface level, leaving only the sections which will hang, then dig the level below that. the result: the hanging surface of dwarf fortress.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »

I suppose I could put a roof over it, and thus make it indoors.  Or just build it underground with extensive chanelling.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:25:20 pm »

Putting a roof over it won't change anything.
くコ:彡

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 07:29:29 pm »

building a roof only marks a tile as inside. a tile with a roof built over it is still above ground, meaning no subterranean crops.

Maybe eventually there will be a way to move soil tiles around.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."
Pages: [1] 2