Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting thing I just discovered about armor/weapon racks  (Read 1106 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting thing I just discovered about armor/weapon racks
« on: November 27, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »

I've discovered that dwarves who are assigned to one train at a weapon rack or armor stand will train there even if they're not currently on duty.  I think this means that if a dwarf ever finds itself in the position to be idle, instead they'll go and run through individual training drills on their own.  The combat drills don't take precedent over an actual job that needs to be done.  Now this could very well be a bit of common knowledge that I've somehow missed, but I haven't heard anybody mention it before. 

I had previously only used beds as a source of barracks, and had my squads training in them, but I had never noticed any of my dwarves spending their down-time training.  I decided to use armor and weapon stands in the fort I'm currently running, and decided to use those as the training areas, rather than the beds.  Now I see dwarves training, unprompted.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting thing I just discovered about armor/weapon racks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:21:00 pm »

There is actually no difference between bed barracks and armor stand barracks, as long as the same squads are set to train there. I never leave my military on duty when there are no three-digit goblin hordes on the map. They will still train almost all the time.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:27:43 pm »

Maybe I just haven't noticed it with bed-assigned barracks then.  I guess I was assuming that the dwarves that were hanging out in the barracks were just kind of loitering and not training.

Well then, maybe my discovery isn't all that impressive! 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:28:38 pm »

It's no salmon run, no, but it is still cool to know!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »

Quick barracks question for those who know that might look at this thread;

When designating a barracks, I get the Z for sleep, T for train.  What do the Individual and Squad (etc) things actually mean?  Is it for individual and squad training, or something else?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:56:36 am »

I guess it's for individual and squad equipment. Never used this option though
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 02:19:53 am »

When designating a barracks, I get the Z for sleep, T for train.  What do the Individual and Squad (etc) things actually mean?  Is it for individual and squad training, or something else?

The only explanation I can think of is if you ever assign your dwarves to go un-uniformed when they're off-duty they might leave their equipment in the barracks' you designate for their equipment. I've never seen any equipment left as I keep all soldiers uniformed 24/7.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 02:36:58 am »

The only explanation I can think of is if you ever assign your dwarves to go un-uniformed when they're off-duty they might leave their equipment in the barracks' you designate for their equipment. I've never seen any equipment left as I keep all soldiers uniformed 24/7.

Is there some trick to getting them to STAY in uniform 24/7? I have all my military dorfs set to wear uniform even off duty, but that doesn't stop them from stripping naked and tossing all their adamantine on the ground for the kobolds to steal the second I cancel their order to station/kill.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 03:33:44 am »

Don't assign them miner or woodcutting duty and set it so that they wear their uniforms even when off duty on the military screen.