Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena improvements?  (Read 619 times)

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Arena improvements?
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:55:48 am »

Ok, this is somethings I both came across and thaught up, and after looking through the dev pages involving the plans for the arena, and turned up nothing...I like the arena very much and see it as a fully fledged offshooted mode later on down the road aimed at training the inexperienced in df.

I first shall suggest some modifications.

1. There is no way to destroy or modify the walls while in the arena, and changing stuff is only in the file, it would be helpful if at least there was a way to turn something into empty space, or ramps or whatever while in there (yes I know the function will become very useless once adventures are given the ability to dig and ect but until then).

2. The ability to contol the ambient temperature, so as to make and test freezing, boiling and other object temperature effects (like snow and boiling rock).

3. The ability to add non equipable items and such, on creatures as well as off, for the fun (mostly because I want to test if magmamen can eat beer in the arena, and and have the ability to spawn beer above magma if I want to).

Now some things I've noticed, all while inside the arena, take what you will from them.

With hacks you can make it snow and rain in the arena but cant read or change the local temperature, so snow is independant of temperature and can happen anywhere the region is right.
Drop cast obsidian walls make inside but rest cast obsidian dosent.
Fat gotten from butchering something that died in water can be laced with water, and have a water covering.
Stuff you take control of can gain titles like in adventure mode.
Melting dwarves melt alot faster when you are controling them.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: Arena improvements?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:16:11 pm »

I recently found the desire to be able to place weapon traps in the arena to test new trap components, one of which is an over sized crossbow that fires spear sized bolts that I'm not even sure of whether works. Still need to make a fort to test it with but modding in a few other little things first.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:38:16 am »

Separate menus for items and material would save a lot of scrolling, as would being able to select item quality.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:33 am »

1. There is no way to destroy or modify the walls while in the arena, and changing stuff is only in the file, it would be helpful if at least there was a way to turn something into empty space, or ramps or whatever while in there (yes I know the function will become very useless once adventures are given the ability to dig and ect but until then).

You can add the walls yourself in the arena text file which can be found in the data folder. I wish there was a better interface then typing the same four letters a million times but that's as good as it gets.

These are some very good ideas, I especially like the adding anything you want into the arena. Recently I improved obsidian's weapon effectiveness and I wanted to see how it matched up to metal. But you can't add stone weapons.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »

It would be great to be able to build objects like pumps and mechanisms so complex machinery could be tested without having to wait for you Dwarves to build them.

ZioAnthros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

The idea of (basically) replacing the arena with a more general "testing" area would be great. I'd actually like to see a general shift away from combat as a focus.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:29:14 am »

this is nice.
you know what? I'm thinking of writing something that lets you edit the arena.txt file.
what should it have?
Personally we should be able to chose "tiles" to place on the arena using a menu ("P"?)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.