Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strange mood party!  (Read 2823 times)

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood party!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 11:08:44 am »

Congrats!  Moods are tricky, sometimes.  I usually don't expect to find GCS trouble at a super fast rate.  From what I understand, they're trap avoiding creatures.  If so, a simple cage trap won't be enough.  You'll need to also knock them onto it, which can be done with combat, cave-in dust, or maybe water pressure.  Congrats on being proactive about it, though!  I usually lock away farmers and only half-way hope they survive sane until the caravan arrives.  Miners, Masons, Jewelers, any Metal-industry crafters: they get love.  They get respect.  Artifact Underpants?  I won't sweat it if we don't have any of those in this fort.  If Clothiers would make robes and dresses and such more regularly when they go through a mood, then I might have love for them.  Someone could use that stuff to good effect.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:05 am »

HEY! That thong menaces with spikes of steel, is encrusted with star rubies and has an image of a dwarf and a hoary marmot on it. The dwarf is in the fetal position, the hoary marmot is striking a menacing pose.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:27 am »

Oh, while we were doing this I had a child get possessed and make a larch toy boat. I can picture him sitting around with his friends like a toy commercial. All of a sudden he gets a weird look in his eye, stands up, throws the other toys across the room and yells "FUCK THIS NOISE! BE RIGHT BACK!"

Oh, the boat has spikes of goblin bone on it and has images of the dwarven king being crowned and one of my cooks making some masterpiece biscuits.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »

Congrats!  Moods are tricky, sometimes.  I usually don't expect to find GCS trouble at a super fast rate.  From what I understand, they're trap avoiding creatures.  If so, a simple cage trap won't be enough.  You'll need to also knock them onto it, which can be done with combat, cave-in dust, or maybe water pressure.

GCS are not trapavoid, just invisible.  I've got two sitting in my animal stockpile right now that I'm going to use to make a silk generator.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 01:26:11 pm »

Yeah, invisible does not mean trap avoid. I catch ambushes in cage traps all the time.

I love arenas
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 04:15:26 pm »

Also, have you ever had an ambush get discovered by their brave leader getting trapped in a cage? Yeah, another proof that stealthing=/=trapavoid.
Cage traps are darn awesome. The only thing that is better is magma (since champions can still get butcheted by kittens slashing their throats and such). And silk farms are easy - get a GCS and put into a secure walled-in space, with fortifications on one side; put something the GCS would spit webs on behind the fortifications (say, a kitten on a leash); put a drawbridge behind the kitten, keeping in mind that it may travel one tile away from his leash and get stuck in the bridge mechanism, so that the bridge can be raised and cover the 'working' part of the farm; make a hall behind the bridge for the webs to land in. Looks like this:

|+++++++++++|
|+++++____==|
|+++++=++/++|
|+++++=+c/+S|
|+++++=++/++|
|+++++____==|
|+++++++++++|

+ - floor
_, | - walls
== - drawbridges
/ - fortifications
c - cat/kitten
S - GCS

... or a variation thereof.

Note: if the GCS is tamed, the target will have to be a hostile thing (e.g. a goblin).
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 05:29:44 pm »

And just in case, avoid building magma workshops because moody dwarves ignore them compeltely.

Not in my experience.  I had a dwarf in 31.17 who wouldn't claim a workshop even though I had one of each constructed.  That is, until my magma chamber filled up.  As soon as the magma power started trickling in, he rushed down and tried to claim one of those magma shops.  Unfortunately, because the power wasn't steady, as soon as it registered as not having enough magma to run the workshop, the strange mooder went berserk.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 06:36:48 pm »

And just in case, avoid building magma workshops because moody dwarves ignore them compeltely.

Not in my experience.  I had a dwarf in 31.17 who wouldn't claim a workshop even though I had one of each constructed.  That is, until my magma chamber filled up.  As soon as the magma power started trickling in, he rushed down and tried to claim one of those magma shops.  Unfortunately, because the power wasn't steady, as soon as it registered as not having enough magma to run the workshop, the strange mooder went berserk.

Dwarfs will never claim a magma glass furnace, but once you hit magma, they are unlikely to settle for a regular forge. I had just constructed my magma workshops and deconstructed my regular forge when i got a moody metalworker. I rebuilt the regular forge because the magma ones were a ways away from filling up, but no dice. He wouldn't take it. I knew enough to forbid the magma forges until after they had filled, a magma forge going off-line will make a moody dwarf crazy instantly, but I ran out of time. Good thing he went melancholy, he was one of my best fighters, and he was hanging out in the meeting room.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:46 pm »

At embark, make sure you bring some cave spider silk cloth and thread, just in case you have a dwarf who decides he or she simply MUST make this artifact 'FAAAAAABULOUSSSS!'. Everything else can be obtained from the site (Assuming you have a source of sand) without breaching the caverns, making those early artifacts easier to create. Of course, you shouldn't get an artifact your first year under usual circumstances, meaning you could buy silk from the dwarf caravan.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:18 pm »

GCSs aren't actually that hard to kill with a dwarf as long as he has a weapon.  I once had one come in, easily kill two civilians and then get all of its legs chopped off before being beheaded by a single swordsdwarf in bronze armor.  And the GCS never even got a chance to attack him.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 05:33:23 am »

It's my first year and all I've grown so far is Plump helmets.
Welcome to "yet another reason why I kill off my migrants".

Moods only happen when your population exceeds 20 dwarves.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 06:49:07 am »

On the note of the artifact you made, atleast it wasn't something like:

"Giant Cave Spider Silk Loincloth. It has a female dwarf in silk. It has a made dwarf in silk. The male dwarf is doing the unmistakable act to the female dwarf. It menaces with spikes of dildo's."
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 06:52:22 am »

Ha!

Well, because I'm a stupid and cowardly sheep, I abandoned the fort. I hate to meet things unprepared. But I do get a chance to make an enterance that keeps traps in mind.

Edit : The dwarf civilization I'm affiliated with (Therefor the types of embark items I can get), I noticed there was Cave Spider silk. (Not Giant Cave Spider) Which cost less than half of the Pig tail types of cloth, string and rope.

I must've saved nearly 100 points on just exchanging those for the cheaper Cave Spider silk. Hopefully it's as strong as Pigtail, if strength even matters, that is.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:06:43 am by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

kaapelikala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 08:07:14 am »

Ha!

Well, because I'm a stupid and cowardly sheep, I abandoned the fort. I hate to meet things unprepared. But I do get a chance to make an enterance that keeps traps in mind.

Edit : The dwarf civilization I'm affiliated with (Therefor the types of embark items I can get), I noticed there was Cave Spider silk. (Not Giant Cave Spider) Which cost less than half of the Pig tail types of cloth, string and rope.

I must've saved nearly 100 points on just exchanging those for the cheaper Cave Spider silk. Hopefully it's as strong as Pigtail, if strength even matters, that is.

The beginnig threads, cloths, buckets, splints and crutches are for the hospital. Usually I just drop them and just take some silk cloth for the moods. You can make rope reed thread and cloth if you embark pretty much anywhere since it grows in non-freezing near water.
Pages: 1 [2]