Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange mood party!  (Read 2826 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Strange mood party!
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:00 am »

Well, this is fairly interesting.

A dwarf of mine threw a party in my dining hall. A while after that, my novice farmer was taken by a 'Fey mood', but instead of claiming a workshop, he goes to the dining hall and waits. I haven't figured out why he's standing there, but a theory is that the 'party' that was thrown is still in progress. So instead of making an artifact, he's hanging by the punch bowl.

Is this common?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood party!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:29:43 am »

You probably don't have the workshop needed for the mood.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:40:42 am »

I thought they picked workshops upon the ones I actually have.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:43:22 am »

Nope. If it's a farmer, it *probably* wants a Craftsdwarf's shop.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:46:40 am »

I'll just construct every workshop there is.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:40 am »

Look at the particular dwarf with "v". They'll claim the workshop that corresponds to whatever their highest skill is. Make you you give that feller the right one too, fey moods are awesome.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:06 am »

And just in case, avoid building magma workshops because moody dwarves ignore them compeltely.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:19 am »

Awesome <-- !!EXTREME SARCASM!!

He took the Clothier's Shop. Am I going to be expecting some wooden shirt or something, now?

Edit :
He's a dead man. He demanded square blocks (Stone blocks) and 'stacked cloth' (Silk cloth or plant fiber). I can produce stone blocks easily, while silk/plant fiber I'm not even close. It's my first year and all I've grown so far is Plump helmets. I wanted to start production in early winter, but all I could choose from was Dimple Cups and more Plump helmets. hupp.

Edit2 : You picky son of a bitch. I actually managed to find some Pig Tail thread to turn it into Cloth, but he wants Silk.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:05:24 am by MiniMacker »

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:02:24 am »

That actually wasn't sarcasm. Fey moods are, in fact, awesome since the dwarf becomes legendary in that skill if he can complete his artifact. Don't freak out just yet, wall him into his workshop or lock the door, make some stone mugs and pray the first caravan shows up with silk, they usually have a few bins of both. Also dwarves don't ignore magma workshops, both of my legendary weaponsmiths and my legendary armorer created their artifacts in a magma forge. With a Clothier's shop you can expect a sock studded with gems, encircled with bands of leather and wood and with an image of a weeping monkey on it. Of course all of that will be of such sublime craftsdwarfship that even the stoutest warrior will fall to his knees and weep at the sight of it.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:27 am »

I have actually struck the first cave layer, but I haven't actually breached the rock walls so creatures can enter my fort. I can save my farmer if I do it, but I also risk being attacked by GCS that I've heard so much about.

The only line of defence I have is a few lines of Cage traps and a guy with bronze armour. I doubt that is enough to face a GCS. The cage traps I've heard is 'overpowered', being able to catch dragons in a wooden cage, but I'm not sure if GCS' will get caught, since they're in an invisible ambush mode.

Edit : Well, I breached it and took some silk. I built a door and locked it. Great success!
But he's not taking any of my blocks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:21:33 am by MiniMacker »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19:27 am »

That's why I always deconstruct the depot when the first dwarven caravan rolls in and unloads their goods.

I don't see it as stealing. More like a crapton of housewarming gifts.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:33:15 am »

Edit : Well, I breached it and took some silk. I built a door and locked it. Great success!
But he's not taking any of my blocks.

He needs more silk.  You can either go down for some more or (if the dwarf caravan has yet to show up) buy some from the dwarves.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:34:20 am »

Check what he's screaming for, dwarves want to collect materials for an artifact in order. Take a look at what he's demanding then look at what's in the workshop with "t" that should tell you what you need to supply next. Also replace that door with a wall IMMEDIATELY or the first forgotten beast that wanders into your caverns will stampede straight into your fortress. Protip to keep your mason from walling himself out of your fort: Place constructed walls on the tiles you don't want the mason to stand on then suspend them. He'll prefer to stand on the tiles that don't have anything designated on them.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:47:31 am »

Hm, I might've been mistaken, I think this is a secretive mood, since he is drawing pictures instead of shouting what he wants. I'll try giving him more silk cloth.

Edit : YES! He did it! He began the mysterious construction! *Whipes off some sweat*
I won't lose my farmer after all.
Hey, before we close the thread, does anyone know if GCS get caught by Cage traps?

Edit2 : Thilsegnosing Vakistomet the Cave Spider Silk hood. Encrusted with Dolomite.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:00:50 am by MiniMacker »

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 10:57:22 am »

*BROFIST* Nice, secretive moods are just as awesome, the only mood that doesn't raise that dwarf's skill to legendary is possession. Yes, GCS can be captured in cages, or so I'm told. There are ways to create an infinite silk generator using a few captured spiders and something they cant attack in melee. I haven't built one since, if you look at my caverns, there's no way in hell I'm going down there with anything less than 30 legendary champions and some trained dragons...but yea, check around on the map archive, I know I've seen a couple designs for silk farms on there.
Pages: [1] 2