Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you prefer to create access to your construction sites?

Constructed floors.
- 18 (34.6%)
Floor grates.
- 2 (3.8%)
Bridges.
- 8 (15.4%)
Grates and bridges, as necessary.
- 6 (11.5%)
I don't use scaffolding. Welcome to Squaretowers!
- 18 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: POLL: Preferred method of scaffolding?  (Read 2559 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Preferred method of scaffolding?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »

I use floors, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove them!
d - n

HOW DID I MISS THAT?

Meh, assumed you asked about the way, not the button. In Dwarf Fortress, assumptions shouldn't be taken.

And it's not all that hard to miss it in the wall of text that is the d menu.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »

Here's how I start my scaffolding:
Code: [Select]
  ___
/X |

I build a wall, and then a ramp next to the wall.  I build a support 1 tile away from the wall.  I build a grate (or 1 tile bridge or whatever) from the top of the wall to the tile next to the zlevel above the support.  I then build a floor or up stairs or whatever on the support, and build EVERYTHING off of that, with no other supporting contact with anything.  I use bridges to reach the construction from the scaffold.  When I'm done, I just hook a lever up to the support and it's demolition time.  Except for the wall and the ramp, the whole thing goes away with one lever pull.  The wall and ramp can be deconstructed from the ground.

Note: make sure your scaffolding is not going to punch through your fort!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 06:14:50 pm »

Here's how I start my scaffolding:
Code: [Select]
  ___
/X |

I build a wall, and then a ramp next to the wall.  I build a support 1 tile away from the wall.  I build a grate (or 1 tile bridge or whatever) from the top of the wall to the tile next to the zlevel above the support.  I then build a floor or up stairs or whatever on the support, and build EVERYTHING off of that, with no other supporting contact with anything.  I use bridges to reach the construction from the scaffold.  When I'm done, I just hook a lever up to the support and it's demolition time.  Except for the wall and the ramp, the whole thing goes away with one lever pull.  The wall and ramp can be deconstructed from the ground.

Note: make sure your scaffolding is not going to punch through your fort!

Hey, a good fresh approach. Will probably try that in one of my towers.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »

I usually use... nothing. When I build structures that change in shape as they go up, I generally don't vary the shape much per z-level. The result is that I almost never need scaffolding because my dwarves walk along the top of the previous level.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

I have a setup where I use bridges and up/down stairs and supports, so that I can remove it all with a lever flick.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »

In the cases where I'm placing several levels of walls but don't intend them to house some walkable section it's bridges all the way. If by some spot of bad luck I find that I've got a little single tile gap between bridges I cancel one of them and place two shorter bridges. I've only got the one architect but he's also the broker bookkeeper mayor and such so he's not usually all that busy.

I've only got two relatively small structures I try to build where I don't care about walkable perimeters though.

Note: bridges go through their construction steps much faster when made from blocks rather than stones. If you just make a couple dozen and stockpile them nearby even the up down stairs scaffolding should seem like it takes a disgustingly long time to place and remove. I can see how I ought to place a few more stair columns for the scaffolding I do use though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 09:20:34 pm »

I use bridges to make scaffolding, since floor tiles have to be removed one tile at a time and bridges are removed several tiles at a time.

Additionally, I don't care how long it takes in-game to build or unbuild something, but I do care how much I have to do to get it done. Even if bridges build faster if you use blocks, I would never use blocks to build bridges (or normal constructions, for that matter) because ordering the blocks made (and waiting for the blocks to be made before I use them) is extra work for me.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »

Pfft, you presumably have a mason shop and setting some blocks to repeat takes four key strokes from the normal view mode. Compared to what it takes to just do a normal fort it's hard to call that work, even less so if you're doing something that actually takes scaffolding. A tiny stockpile for blocks will save you key strokes finding blocks in the list as well and both of these things get the dwarves automatically doing jobs after the extremely minimal setup.

But hey, if you spend thirty minutes thinking about how you can physically set these things up with the minimal involvement on your part I guess the only way I can argue for blocks taking less effort on your part is if you want to get a legendary mason at the same time. You're never going to need so much furniture that you could train up a mason without blocks- except maybe if you send caravans off with crap quality thrones or something, but that would take extra work so obviously not.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 12:58:49 am »

I actually use walls, not floors, you don't get the dorfs-being-stranded issues cause they're removing from the same level as the construction, means engraving has to be done afterwards though.

Stairs and lever demolition rigs are goods ideas though!  Might use those in future!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 01:02:19 am »

I think the stairs also look awesome in Stonesense
Cage traps are my magma.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 02:29:30 am »

How the hell do you use walls as scaffolding? The point is to place several z levels of walls in the first place. After you get the first one up you've gotta throw walls up next to it and then for the third level you need walls on your wall scaffolds so you need to place walls on the first level in order to place walls on the second level's scaffolding. I guess if you're making a pyramid this makes sense but it's useless for the sheer faces that scaffolding is for.

-

Scaffolding isn't something that's meant to be there for looks in general or screenshots, except maybe under construction ones.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 02:34:44 am »

I usualy use walls and ramps. Every now and then I use floors. But if passble I plan so that I can acces my construction from the inside (no scaffolding).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 02:47:56 am »

I use all of these plus stairs, it really just depends on what kind of structure you are making. One of these will be easier in one instance while another will be easier in a different circumstance.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 02:58:34 am »

I use up/down stairs, honestly. Makes multi-level scaffolding a heckuva lot easier.

I was always under the impression that THIS was the de-facto scaffolding to use amongst DF mega-engineers.  Funny how it didnt even make it onto the poll...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: 1 [2]