Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you prefer to create access to your construction sites?

Constructed floors.
- 18 (34.6%)
Floor grates.
- 2 (3.8%)
Bridges.
- 8 (15.4%)
Grates and bridges, as necessary.
- 6 (11.5%)
I don't use scaffolding. Welcome to Squaretowers!
- 18 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: POLL: Preferred method of scaffolding?  (Read 2561 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
POLL: Preferred method of scaffolding?
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:54:58 pm »

On the rare occasions that my dwarves risk getting trapped, I personally use bridges and floor grates because constructed floors take SO LONG to remove.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Preferred method of scaffolding?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »

Grates?  :o Why would someone go to the pains of producing a grate while it's possible to build floor from exactly same materials for exactly same results in one tenth the time?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »

I've usually got legions of low-skill masons, enough to spare for floor removal, so I just go with good old-fashioned constructed floors.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:25:05 pm »

I don't use any of those methods. I don't use scaffolding.

Instead I take the time to painstakingly build the walls up in interesting designs. Most of my houses are square, but my castles, cathedrals and wall towers aren't.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:25 pm »

I use up/down stairs, honestly. Makes multi-level scaffolding a heckuva lot easier.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:32:39 pm »

... Up/down stairs is actually a good idea.
Me, I usually don't use scaffolding, or use it only if a part of the structure has to be constructed from the inside. In that case I leave a one-tile opening in my structure and construct floors that allow me to finish the odd part. Then I remove the floors and finish the wall.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »

I use up/down stairs.  I tried floors but I got stuck having to remove them one tile at a time or else I'd get collapses and stranded dwarves.  I was going to experiment with wooden scaffolding and then seeing if I couldn't set it on fire to get rid of it but since I need a thousand or more logs for each segment of the construction process wood reuseability became an issue.  So I just decided to use tons of stairs.

Apparently I am spared the stairs FPS ding bug seeing as how I had over 1000 stairs on a map not too long ago.
Cage traps are my magma.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »

Grates?  :o Why would someone go to the pains of producing a grate while it's possible to build floor from exactly same materials for exactly same results in one tenth the time?
Because any unskilled furniture hauler can install them while the masons are building the permanent structure. You only have to build them once, and they can be re-stocked and re-used.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 03:20:26 pm »

Stairs.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:31:49 pm »

I use floors, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove them!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:34:59 pm »

d - n
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »

One by one, starting with the farthest. This is what frustrates me about floors the most. Up/down stairs is probably the best thing, and can be removed by level.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »

Up/down stairs.  My scaffolding is always for multi-z projects.  The best part: deconstruction is a breeze.  Dorfs deconstruct stairs from the floor below, so you don't have to worry about someone blocking a tile or about cave-ins.
At last, she is done.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 05:59:19 pm »

d - n

HOW DID I MISS THAT?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:05:21 pm »

How about another option: avoid construction altogether and carve what you can out of living rock. So much easier, quicker, less micromanagement and far fewer opportunities for your dwarves to screw themselves. Every construction I've ever done has taken complete vigilance, but letting the miners clear out the shapes and the masons follow up with detailing and fixtures is pretty stress-free.
Pages: [1] 2