Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How extreme is cavern creature path finding?  (Read 1778 times)

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: How extreme is cavern creature path finding?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 12:32:18 am »

BEWARE THE GIANT BATS!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:36:07 am »

"if you set everyone to do mason labor, you can pop the cavern layers open and brick them up again before anything comes to bother you"
Sounds a lot like "brick it up right away" to me.

Actually it sounds like "before anything comes to bother you", but maybe I'm not reading it correctly.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 01:44:47 am »

Just be careful which side of the wall the mason ends up on.  And also if you've built a loom, or have fisherdwarves, be careful to only seal them in if you want to.  And cage traps are your friends, especially in the twisty bits.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 01:55:06 am »

Just be careful which side of the wall the mason ends up on.  And also if you've built a loom, or have fisherdwarves, be careful to only seal them in if you want to.  And cage traps are your friends, especially in the twisty bits.

One trick for that:

Build a section of your passage like this:

Code: [Select]

(<--- Unsafe side)  ---  (Safe side --->

XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXX           
     XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Stuff can go through the diagonals fine, fluids will loose pressure of course, but can pass.
Alternatively, you can make it wider if you need to:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXX      XXX
X    XXX   XXX
    X         
     XXX
    X           
X    XXX   XXX
XXXXX      XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Then, when you want to seal it, put the walls where the H's are.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXH           
     XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Or for the wide version:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXH     XXX
X    XXX   XXX
    XH       
     XXX
    XH           
X    XXX   XXX
XXXXXH     XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Because, you see, masons cannot build diagonally, so they only have one place to stand while building the wall - the safe side.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 02:00:46 am »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:03 am »

You DO realise there are children in this forum? (Although it needs it certify they are 18, it's best to remove the temptation.)

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 09:57:25 am »

You DO realise there are children in this forum?
Don't worry, the children are being used as sheilds even now against the umpteenth goblin ambush.

Also my caverns has a lot of giant cave spiders in them, with one less that somehow got in and tried to attack my legendery miner, who proceded to insert his pick into it's face so hard that it's head fell off. My medical team was on the sceane, and like angels disguised as long beards with personal forcefields of booze and *blood splatters*, decided to haul him off to a bed where he could safley ignored and die of thirst.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 10:03:13 am »

People are full of crap. The underground life won't try very hard to get at you. The most aggressive stuff will just attack anyone that goes near it except for specific things that don't show up until around a year in and you get that warning message for them anyway. You can open the place up, go in, chop down some trees, maybe dig a channel for magma someplace, and then wall it off.

Toady didn't want us finding the underground and then walling it off for later when we had some big army to deal with it. It's useful right away and only rarely more dangerous than being out on the surface. One guy can probably wall off a 10x10 area in the underground before you have any troubles.

Sure, sometimes you will break into the place right next to a tribe of antmen and they will rush out at you but the vast majority of the time you won't have to build a wall to keep vile death from flooding out of the place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, some do try hard enough. Case in point: Individual crundles and troglodytes out of a group will active path to your fort from one end of the cavern to the other once the cavern has been breached. As do some Elk Birds and Trolls. I don't know what it is that makes some of these more "aggressive" than others of the same species, but I've seen them do it on more than one occassion. And then there's ofcourse anything from semi-megabeast and up in terms of danger that will always find their way to your fort sooner or later if they can.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 03:33:12 pm »

You DO realise there are children in this forum? (Although it needs it certify they are 18, it's best to remove the temptation.)

It's more funny than anything really, although, tbh you're right - it probably shouldn't be here.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 04:28:00 pm »

People are full of crap. The underground life won't try very hard to get at you. The most aggressive stuff will just attack anyone that goes near it except for specific things that don't show up until around a year in and you get that warning message for them anyway. You can open the place up, go in, chop down some trees, maybe dig a channel for magma someplace, and then wall it off.

Toady didn't want us finding the underground and then walling it off for later when we had some big army to deal with it. It's useful right away and only rarely more dangerous than being out on the surface. One guy can probably wall off a 10x10 area in the underground before you have any troubles.

Sure, sometimes you will break into the place right next to a tribe of antmen and they will rush out at you but the vast majority of the time you won't have to build a wall to keep vile death from flooding out of the place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You've never hit a cavern right next to a Jabberer with just your first 7 dwarves >.>
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »

Well, people putting "fuck" in the subject line of threads doesn't generate a lot of outrage, so a wasn't too worried about a link to a cartoon which I actually was courteous enough to label "NSFW" (and still am not).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 10:31:01 pm »

Or you really do a lot of masonry work in your fortress. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 12:45:04 am »

Back to topic, if there is a way for a creature to get into your fortress, it will; Also had a merchant exit that way, which is concerning...

That's why cage traps are your friends.  Currently have 14 Crundle and 5 Plump Helmet Men that have all crawled through a very complicated maze to my staircase, but all met the good old trap... 

But gremlins and kobolds seem immune to traps, so wall up the entrance if you're early in the game.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: 1 [2]