Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How extreme is cavern creature path finding?  (Read 1780 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How extreme is cavern creature path finding?
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:48:03 am »

What if I want to get all those delicious underground tree/bush spores spread throughout my fort early?  So I go to an exact OPPOSITE corner of a LARGE embark map, dig a twisty search tunnel and hit a cavern.  Will the creatures then proceed to come out, journey to the surface, across three miles of jungle, and then through the front door of my fort?
Cage traps are my magma.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: How extreme is cavern creature path finding?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:50:28 am »

depends on creature tags. mostly, yes.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:52:17 am »

In practice, if you set everyone to do mason labor, you can pop the cavern layers open and brick them up again before anything comes to bother you.  I've had stuff get through maybe one time, which taught me to be a lot quicker about securing whatever cavern space I'm going to try to hold.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:04 am »

Yes, they will.  And they will be angry, because you made them walk that far.  How rude.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:40:31 am »

This reminds me of this: You could dig down into the clowns via a tunnel from the surface nowhere near your fort, put up a raised drawbridge (before breaching the circus). Whenever a tough siege comes along, pull the drawbridge lever. Hehe... worth a try.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:12:13 am »

This reminds me of this: You could dig down into the clowns via a tunnel from the surface nowhere near your fort, put up a raised drawbridge (before breaching the circus). Whenever a tough siege comes along, pull the drawbridge lever. Hehe... worth a try.

I'm not sure Toady intended us to use the scourge of all life as we know it as a defense mechanism.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 06:19:30 am »

He didn't intend for us to do half the stuff we do every other day.
くコ:彡

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 06:23:04 am »

He didn't intend for us to do half the stuff we do every other day.

^
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:19:41 am »

Every other day? That's how often you do crazy stuff? Kinda little, isn't it?  :D

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

People are full of crap. The underground life won't try very hard to get at you. The most aggressive stuff will just attack anyone that goes near it except for specific things that don't show up until around a year in and you get that warning message for them anyway. You can open the place up, go in, chop down some trees, maybe dig a channel for magma someplace, and then wall it off.

Toady didn't want us finding the underground and then walling it off for later when we had some big army to deal with it. It's useful right away and only rarely more dangerous than being out on the surface. One guy can probably wall off a 10x10 area in the underground before you have any troubles.

Sure, sometimes you will break into the place right next to a tribe of antmen and they will rush out at you but the vast majority of the time you won't have to build a wall to keep vile death from flooding out of the place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:55 pm »

I don't think anyone told him to brick up any breach the instant he touches the caverns, we're all kinda saying the same thing here.  However if you do leave the caverns unsecure, there's a strong chance that some FB with fire breath or poison gas will stroll into your fort at some point and fuck it up pretty nastily.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:40:39 pm »

"if you set everyone to do mason labor, you can pop the cavern layers open and brick them up again before anything comes to bother you"
Sounds a lot like "brick it up right away" to me.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 10:16:18 pm »

"Anything" likely refers to said big nasties.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 12:16:09 am »

You don't need to enable masonry on everyone to seal it before those show up. You just need masonry on one dwarf or if you somehow get one that never leaves his workshop to go make your wall then on two of them. Enabling it on all of the dwarves is what implies that you have no time to spare.
Pages: [1] 2