Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving prisoners  (Read 2847 times)

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving prisoners
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:22 pm »

I've got a bunch of prisoners sitting in my animal stockpile. Not experimented as yet, since I'm still setting up my gladiator arena.

I've worked out how to dump everything from a prisoner, but not been able to dump the weapon only, want my military to have to work for the kill. Does designating a pit and then dumping the cage in the pit keep the prisoner in there. I would like to get a bunch of cages in the arena, march my dwarves in then open all the cages via a lever.

Using version 31.14
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving prisoners
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:50 pm »

To get stuff out of a cage in a controlled way, build the cage containing the critter and then dump it to a pit, or link it to a lever and pull the lever.

To get only the weapons off, you need to just claim forbidden weapons in z->stocks rather than their armor also.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:54:54 pm »

How do you get their stuff off? I've never gotten it to work right.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:07:55 am »

Well the quick way to do it for all their gear is to use the d->b menu to claim all their stuff since it starts forbidden then to dump it all, since d->b targets every thing in it's area. You could also do this the long hard way with the stocks screen.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:09:01 am »

Ahh build the cage, didn't think about that! That's awesome then I can get the cages exactly where I want them.

To get rid of everything I just did a mass reclaim(something like d->b->f, thats from my crappy memory tho) then mass dump (d->b->d), my dwarves stripped that one prisoner damn fast too! I got a hunch that one goblin won't last very long at all.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:10:16 am »

It's pretty fiddly, basically go through z->stocks once you have a bookkeeper and inventory of their stuff is taken, and un-forbid it (this is kind of a pain because it's split into many categories); then d-b-d over the cages (whether or not they are built); then go back to z->stocks and un-dump the cages.  If you have a garbage zone set, dwarves with refuse hauling labor will come carry away their gear without letting the caged guys out.  Personally it's way too much trouble for me, I'd rather just have them dead by lethal traps instead of messing with cages.

I don't *think* you can reclaim their equip by d-b-c, I thought you had to do it through the Stocks screen.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:24 am »

Thanks for the help, the reason I was wondering was because I wanted to try to get them to be taken safely to a pit, which I think civilians can do if they are unarmed.  I once had this map where the river had a waterfall and only unfroze for like 5 days, so I made a wall in front of the falls on top of the ice and had a ledge up a few z-levels so I could toss goblins down, then they break their legs and even if they don't they are still stuck there for most of the year until the water unfreezes and they drown.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 12:17:43 am »

I don't *think* you can reclaim their equip by d-b-c, I thought you had to do it through the Stocks screen.

Well it was working for me yesterday. ;)

And as for the civilian moving them thing they still get away from their handlers from time to time but all they try to do is run away and can't really do much damage unarmed if they do get cornered. Still the RNG can still cause deaths even in the most unlikely of circumstances.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 12:30:44 am »

Only thieves will get away from you if you do em one at a time.  Easiest way I've found to disarm them is to (d)-(b)-(d) the cages, then go through them with (k) and un-dump the cage itself.  Works for those damn seeds, too.  (Not necessary to build the cage here.  if you do, the (k) part is unnecessary.)

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 12:35:49 am »

Only thieves will get away from you if you do em one at a time.  Easiest way I've found to disarm them is to (d)-(b)-(d) the cages, then go through them with (k) and un-dump the cage itself.  Works for those damn seeds, too.  (Not necessary to build the cage here.  if you do, the (k) part is unnecessary.)

Thats what I ended up doing on my test goblin, but I want them to keep their armour, will try the other suggestions tonight. My waterfall/statue garden with bloodsport below will either be awesome... or Fun!

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 03:08:06 am »

This is sort of what I'm gathering from this thread...

So, hypothetically, say we have animal A roaming around in a pit one z-level beneath my dorfs. It's a big scary monster [let's say, an ettin, for instance] and it will attack my dorfs on sight. How do I get caged animal B into the pit without putting my dorfs at risk? If I had my dorfs drop cage B into the pit via dumping, is animal b released from the cage upon the cage hitting the bottom for the Ettin to beat up?

If not, then how do I get animal b into the pit without putting my dorfs in harm's way?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 03:17:01 am »

If it's in a pit, then they never will be in harms way.  But it will scare them, and in my experience they let the little bugger they've got go when they flee.  The cage won't open at the bottom, it'll just be a caged animal at the bottom of the pit.  I've never found a simple way to do what you're saying; I always have to use a small "airlock" where I build the cages and set them to levers.  Then close the outer door, and open the inner door with the big baddy waiting for them.  I usually have the two rooms fairly large so the dwarfs don't have to get close enough to get scared.  The two rooms are also identical, both with entrances. so that when the baddy is done with his meat I can just close the inner door and set up cages in the room he just vacated, reversing the process.

edit: Of course, you could just dump them into a deeper pit, but they'll just die that way, so it wouldn't really work for what you want.