Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exotic weapons and Dwarves  (Read 1243 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic weapons and Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »

Flexible weapons tend to be slightly too good at the moment: Their main advantage (the business end moves at a very high velocity) is modeled, their main disadvantage (you shouldn't have the full weight of the weapon behind a strike - still a good part of it for morningstars, but almost nothing for whips and scourges) isn't.

Flails still don't appear to be very practical... blunt weapons are mostly attractive for their solid performance against armour, and flails have too large a contact area for that.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:47:55 pm »

You might as well arm a squad or two with them if you don't have anything better, though they're not a lot more useful than a regular mace and goblin kit tends to be crap anyway.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Doombell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

It would be interesting knowing some rough idea how the damage is calculated for these weapons. Since a whip really does achieve rather ludicrous, supersonic, speeds I get the feeling that they are in need of a rather hefty divisor for the weapon weight. I think that one would probably fit best directly in the attack calculations, since the weight ratio of the different parts of the weapons should stay mostly the same no matter what material they are. Whips you might even get away with giving multiple hit opportunities, to simulate hitting with a significant length of whip.
Pages: 1 [2]