Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is platinum only useful for crafting stuff to trade?  (Read 2333 times)

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is platinum only useful for crafting stuff to trade?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 06:11:32 pm »

What about platinum swords/axes and shields?
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »

Platinum can't be made into weapons and armour without a moody dwarf doing it, or some modding.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »

Cloth is an infinitely renewable resource, and even plain old cloth, made by a legendary weaver, is relatively valuable on its own. Make the masterwork cloth into masterwork cloth crafts masterfully decorated with masterwork cloth, and its going to fetch a huge price. Its also extremely easy to set up. You just need a farm growing pig tails or rope reed, farmers workshop, a couple of looms, and a clothing workshop.

Later on when you reach the caverns you can use your legendary weavers to make masterwork giant cave spider silk items, as they trained up on plant fiber cloth.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 06:27:51 pm »

Yeah, I've done a textile fort before and even modded in a plant to give me purple dye. The fort made a very nice living off of plum dyed mittens. Never even bothered decorating it as the prices for the mittens were quite respectable on their own.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »

But you can do that with FOOD as well. Masterwork prepared food is extremely valuable, and takes less stages to do. And its an infinite renewable... just make another farm plot if you want more raw resources. Has the added bonus of making your dwarves happy as often as they eat, rather than just when they replace their worn clothes.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 07:50:28 pm »

I make my wells out of it. All bits platinum--- block, mechanism, chain, bucket. Great for dwarven morale. Next best thing to having an artificat bucket and chain in the well.

Artifact platinum bucket+chain, artifact native platinum mechanisms?

You can make metal mechanisms, why just native platinum?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:02 pm »

UNless i have a dumb noble that wants platinum i just use it to make bins.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:58 pm »

I make most of my metal into statues, platinum included.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 09:50:25 pm »

But you can do that with FOOD as well. Masterwork prepared food is extremely valuable, and takes less stages to do. And its an infinite renewable... just make another farm plot if you want more raw resources. Has the added bonus of making your dwarves happy as often as they eat, rather than just when they replace their worn clothes.
If all you care about is making money to fund whatever megaproject or military you're concentrating on, then sure food is one of the best choices for an export industry. However, if you play to make an industrial fort with some backstory/flavour in mind, then people will make whatever industry their main export as their story needs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »

masterwork food is great for trading. i've bought out entire caravans with a couple barrels of roasts
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19:56 am »

Platinum bridge, platinum magma dispenser, platinum pyramid on top removable support...

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 08:59:40 am »

Platinum bridge, platinum magma dispenser, platinum pyramid on top removable support...

This. Platinum is the most valuable magma-safe metal apart from [spoiler], so it's worth saving for use in entranceway magma trap constructions. Your dwarves will get happy thoughts, you wont' have to use up iron/steel on your traps, etc.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 09:15:45 am »

It is a pity that legendary status for the dining room is so easy to reach and gthere are no steps above it...
I mean, just make a ~30*30 tile, smooth walls and floor and put in 20-30 good quality tables and chairs
and you already have reached legendary status.
Would be nice if we would be rewarded with even higher stats for putting really expensive things there ;)

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 11:46:08 am »

It is a pity that legendary status for the dining room is so easy to reach and gthere are no steps above it...
I mean, just make a ~30*30 tile, smooth walls and floor and put in 20-30 good quality tables and chairs
and you already have reached legendary status.
Would be nice if we would be rewarded with even higher stats for putting really expensive things there ;)
"Urist McDiner has visited a dining hall worth the gods themselves/what the gods themselves would pay for/what the gods themselves would beg for lately. Urist McDiner has had his entire clown car of extended family, friends and pets killed lately. He doesn't give a flying cotton candy chain."
Pages: 1 [2]