Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Left Gauntlet vs. Right Gauntlet  (Read 2434 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Left Gauntlet vs. Right Gauntlet
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:40:39 am »

I had an annoying situation where I made a stockpile that only accepted masterwork armor but there was a sizable imbalance between the number of left and right gauntlets.  I guess since the quality of an item is random it just so happened that the smiths just happened to "roll higher".

When you make a gauntlet (or any other paired item, for that matter), what determines whether it will be a "Left" or "Right" gauntlet?  Is it random, or does it alternate? I noticed that looking at the list in my stocks it usually alternates left/right, but then there will be occasional patches where it doesn't.  Perhaps this is because it sorts items by quality?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left Gauntlet vs. Right Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:22 am »

Gauntlets are always made in pairs, but their quality rating is determined separately. Since you set your stockpile to only accept masterworks, it's pulling the the masterworks out and leaving their lower-quality mates to go in your main armor stockpile.  As to why you have a surplus of one kind, its random.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:24:01 am »

Oh, they ARE made in pairs?  Wonderful!  I wasn't quite sure.

Are boots made in pairs too, or are they one-at-a-time since they have no L/R distinction?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:36:37 am »

Boots are also pairs on construction.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:59 am »

There's also a bug where your military will sometimes only equip one boot or gauntlet so that could be another reason.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:39:49 am »

Yeah, the gauntlets bug me alot. I currently have a military of 3 and 2 of them are missing an arm. I used to have a larger army, but they died from losing arms and one had to retire because he had no arms.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:05 am »

There's also a bug where your military will sometimes only equip one boot or gauntlet so that could be another reason.

I've never seen them only equip a single boot, but they very frequently only equip a single gauntlet, and when I check their equipment assignments I find that they've been assigned to wear two left gauntlets (or two right gauntlets). Would've been nice if Toady had fixed that one in 0.31.13...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:16:38 pm »

I've never seen them only equip a single boot, but they very frequently only equip a single gauntlet, and when I check their equipment assignments I find that they've been assigned to wear two left gauntlets (or two right gauntlets). Would've been nice if Toady had fixed that one in 0.31.13...
Boots might be me just making stuff up actually. :P I guess it's down to boots just being boots while gloves are left or right versions?

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »

The simplest solution would just be to move away from the right/left distinction and just have gauntlets. They would work just like boots do at the moment. The additional distinction just really isn't needed, if you ask me.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:28:51 pm »

Since when have you had to explicitly assign left/right gauntlets?  I tell my dwarves to wear "[Material] gauntlets" and they get left and right on their own.  Same with boots.  "[Material] High Boots" and off they go.  I don't even recall seeing "left/right" in the uniform screen.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:08:57 pm »

I think the problem of the one guantlet wearing dwarves is because the dwarves grab A gauntlet--- so a pair of guantlets gets SPLIT between two dwarves. One gets the left, the other gets the right. Then they have the problem of finding matching material for their "onesy". But more dwarven science is needed to confirm this.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:30 pm »

It ought to be possible to just create a full suit of armor that is inseparable unless you separate it intentionally. I'd love an option to form suits of armor, removing the clutter from each individual piece lying separately, and just having it occupy one tile. It would make assigning armor much easier. Even better, how about an option to give a nickname to each suit of armor, perhaps even permanently (or semi-permanently) assigning it to a specific dwarf? I hate the current system of assigning armor since my dwarves always end up missing a piece or two of armor. The current system is more designed for creating shock troops rather than dwarves that you train over the years to become super soldiers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:15:05 pm by vassock »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:08 pm »

What would be nice is if an armor rack actually served this function.  You assign an armor-rack to a dwarf and then can designate what pieces of armor go with it.  One armor rack per soldier.  Make them functional instead of just decorations.  I still have to work out the details in my plan, but I think armor assignment should be rack-centric.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."