Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Not a Drop to Drink: Brackish Rainwater in a Hot Climate  (Read 4534 times)

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not a Drop to Drink: Brackish Rainwater in a Hot Climate
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 06:40:01 am »

-My main drawbridge currently has no lever connected to it so don't bother looking.

Foolish, you DON'T tell us that!  Make us look!  (or realise the error on next invasion)  ;)
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 07:24:47 am »

Given that the drawbridge merely serves to connect my microcline skyway to the top of a tower around which wraps the spiraling path which is the only entrance to my fortress...I didn't feel that it was especially urgent to link it to a lever.  I'll save that for when a dragon shows up and my mechanics are forced into a race against time to avoid a crispy death for my fortress.

In the mean time though, I should put a lever next to the bridge and link it to a doomsday device.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 07:46:30 pm »

Update:

I'm about 60% finished with carving out the path for the pump-stack and have about 5 pumps assembled at its bottom reaches.  I'm also beginning planning for the water-reactors.

One of my swordsdwarfs succumbed to infection while my medical staff was waiting in line at the 100z well to fetch pails of water to clean him.  I really need to get this project finished, especially since I have a whole new crop of injuries from my fishermen getting caught in a goblin ambush.  I think I may have to wall-off that pool to give my dwarves private access to it.

Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 07:05:25 am »

In the mean time though, I should put a lever next to the bridge and link it to a doomsday device.

That's the spirit!
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 05:43:46 am »

:) EXTREMELY ANTICLIMACTIC UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

I started construction of the pumps and found out that you can't simply lay down the orders for a whole stack of pumps.  Oh no, that would be too easy.  In order to transfer power all the pumps have to be built hanging, and so you can't lay down a new order until you have an order below it.  That's fine.  But the OTHER restriction I discovered is that the pumps have to actually be BUILT from the bottom up. I'm not exactly sure what happened but I ordered 20 pumps to be built, and a group of 8 of them built at the bottom (that was nice), and then there were some separated groups of 3 pumps further up the column.  Later when I checked back, I saw ONLY the 8 pumps at the bottom, and a bunch of randomly scattered components where ostensibly functional pumps used to be.

My guess is that pumps can be "supported" by a construction ORDER, but not an active construction SITE, so when you start work building on the pump below an already completed one, the one above it deconstructs.  That's my guess, since I haven't SEEN it happen.

So I'm facing the prospect of a horribly long construction time if I have to check back every 5 minutes to see if the next layer in the stack is ready to for construction to begin.  While I'm waiting for this, I decide it's time I got around to building myself a Gladitorial Arena to make use of my various prisoners.  When I'm digging out a channel in preparation to build a "one-way gate" (pressure plate + floor hatch) so my dwarves can easily walk in but prisoners can't get out, I get the one message I NEVER expected to see:
Digging designation cancelled: wet stone located.

So here's my question: Do I laugh now or do I cry?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 06:33:06 am »

Now fill that 94-z cavern with water!  :D :D :D
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 07:00:52 am »

Given the number of fortifications I've carved into the walls of the cavern to safely map it out...doing that would also flood all my tunnels down there too.  Besides, the forgotten beasts that have taken up residence in my cavern can swim.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:11 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:20:05 pm by Bronimin »

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:05 pm »

It has been reported on the forums that taking any fresh water through salty aquifier layer(s) will instantly turn the water salty. That's if you are pumping it up, or have a giant waterfall.

I have a question--- if you have an ocean patch, why didn't you just pump from that and desalinate as necessary? I've built wells directly over the ocean, and had them "desalinate" the drawn water. Although I have also built wells over low lieing pools of brackish water on volcano islands, and had the water that ended up in buckets still be salty. Wasn't usable for injured dwarves, which is what got me interested in "when does a well desalinate and when doesn't a well desalinate" issue.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 2 [3]