Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Not a Drop to Drink: Brackish Rainwater in a Hot Climate  (Read 4526 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not a Drop to Drink: Brackish Rainwater in a Hot Climate
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 08:08:43 pm »

Zip up the entire save directory and put it somewhere for public download (I use MS Skydrive, it's free and unlimited).

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:50 pm »

Water from Murky pool is good, if the pool is deeper than 3, I think.

Pumped Saltwater is automatically desinalinated. But you must build a reservoir with constructed floors and constructed walls, otherwise if the water touches any unconstructed material it will instantly be salty again.

By constructed material, you mean floor + walls using bricks, right?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:45:50 pm »

If I pump fresh cave-water to my habitation level, is it in danger of becoming brackish?  Do I need to construct a cistern for it? 

Is the the strata that the water is in contact with that determines whether it's Brackish or Fresh, or does the game actually keep track of the origin of every drop of water?

Brackish water can be made fresh through trickery, but can the opposite happen through complacency?  Also do large splatters of blood on cistern walls affect water quality?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 10:57:10 pm »

Blood, barf and pus floating in water will make it "contaminated" if dwarves are trying to drink straight from it, but drinking it from a well doesn't bother them - apparently they have a nice Brita filter on it or something.

I've read that cave water can be salty but I've never seen it.  I think it's safe to say it's pretty uncommon.  If it's fresh where you find it, then it will be fresh everywhere except for blood/pus/whatever contaminants.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 12:31:46 am »

Why are all of you guys abusing your dwarves so and making them drink water :(

Poor dwarves :(
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 01:19:02 am »

Not everybody will drink booze - wounded dwarves need it, babies need it ^^

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 01:50:42 am »

Blood, barf and pus floating in water will make it "contaminated" if dwarves are trying to drink straight from it, but drinking it from a well doesn't bother them - apparently they have a nice Brita filter on it or something.

I've read that cave water can be salty but I've never seen it.  I think it's safe to say it's pretty uncommon.  If it's fresh where you find it, then it will be fresh everywhere except for blood/pus/whatever contaminants.
It's not salty now but "can it become salty?" is my question.  Probably won't matter though since so long as I HAVE water I can desalinate it.  My guess is that it will become salty as soon as it reaches ground-level and I'll have to store all my water in constructed cisterns. 

Perhaps this is why the floor of my cave was generated so close to the bottom: so that the water at its bottom would be fresh?  I'll work on uploading my save for anybody who wants to check out a 94 zurist high cavern complex.  It's a serious nuisance having to '>' myself all the way to the bottom every time I need to check on something there.  Fortunately holding the key down puts you into fast-mode.  (I nominate the "Zurist" or z-Urist to be the official unit of height measurement.)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 02:04:29 am »

I was under the impression that cavern water on salty maps was salty as well. Are you able to designate a drinking zone right over the lake?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 02:10:32 am »

It's a serious nuisance having to '>' myself all the way to the bottom every time I need to check on something there.  Fortunately holding the key down puts you into fast-mode.  (I nominate the "Zurist" or z-Urist to be the official unit of height measurement.)

Hit 'h' and set a hotkey for wherever, you have 16 slots to work with.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 02:42:01 am »

I was under the impression that cavern water on salty maps was salty as well. Are you able to designate a drinking zone right over the lake?
The water in the cavern can be designated as a water source, whereas my rainwater collection cannot.

It's a serious nuisance having to '>' myself all the way to the bottom every time I need to check on something there.  Fortunately holding the key down puts you into fast-mode.  (I nominate the "Zurist" or z-Urist to be the official unit of height measurement.)

Hit 'h' and set a hotkey for wherever, you have 16 slots to work with.
*Smacks head*
You're my hero!!!!
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:20 am »

The water in the cavern can be designated as a water source, whereas my rainwater collection cannot.

...Sigh. I give up on trying to figure salt water out. I vaguely recall seeing that a body of fresh water will instantly turn salty if any of it touches a natural floor/wall. Apparently that only applies to a specific range of layers.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 03:12:30 am »

I think it probably does correspond to the layer. I'll find out for sure once I get my (semi)Legendary* Hundred-Pump-Stack completed.  I'm currently clearing out a testing ground for water-reactor configurations.

*(I guess in order to make it properly legendary, I'd need to make the pump stack out of emerald encrusted electrum components...or maybe entirely out of elephant-soap.  But iron and diorite will be good enough for me.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 04:21:50 am »

...Sigh. I give up on trying to figure salt water out. I vaguely recall seeing that a body of fresh water will instantly turn salty if any of it touches a natural floor/wall. Apparently that only applies to a specific range of layers.
This is at least true with desalinated water - if it gets in touch with any unconstructed ground or wall it will turn to saltwater again.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:30 am »

Water from Murky pool is good, if the pool is deeper than 3, I think.

Pumped Saltwater is automatically desinalinated. But you must build a reservoir with constructed floors and constructed walls, otherwise if the water touches any unconstructed material it will instantly be salty again.

By constructed material, you mean floor + walls using bricks, right?

Yepp.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:36 am »

Zip up the entire save directory and put it somewhere for public download (I use MS Skydrive, it's free and unlimited).
Done.

For whoever is interested, you can (probably) download the save here:
http://cid-f2e4c7e573a3a5a1.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=F2E4C7E573A3A5A1!106&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink
A few notes though:
-I'm currently recovering from a goblin attack that came through an unfinished skylight outside of my walls.
-My main drawbridge currently has no lever connected to it so don't bother looking.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 [2] 3