Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Most horrifying injury?  (Read 14286 times)

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most horrifying injury?
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2010, 02:20:11 am »

not very interesting, but it's the best i got :
one of my dwarves fell off a windmill (don't ask me how) and broke their nose, and lost the use of their right lung. i remember someone calling their similar dwarf wheezy, i think this is wheezy II. It's funny that they have the constant mortal wound! thing going on... :)
I got a high master!!!.... animal caretaker... ****.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:55 am »

Had a fisherdwarf get caught outside during an ambush by goblin crossbowmen. They shot him full of bolts until they ran out, then bludgeoned him with their crossbows for a while. He had two full 1280x1024 pages of wounds. Every bone in his body was broken, he was bleeding heavily from every bodypart, his organs were bruised, he had two teeth knocked out, his eyes gouged out, and sensory nerve AND movement nerve (or whatever it's called) damage. Finally, I managed to get them all trapped and rescue him, only to put him in bed and him get back out of bed trying to path back to the caged goblin. The doctors couldn't do anything because he wasn't resting, and his constant pathing brought my FPS down to single digits. I had to download Runesmith and kill him that way. Poor guy.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2010, 02:39:56 pm »

I'm sorry, but I have to:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »

Messed around in the arena, and I pit a giant cave spider against an elf to see how its poison worked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She didn't even die, for whatever reason, until I attacked her later, and I recall another elf suffocating when left alone. I dunno if that was a glitch in the game itself or a side-effect of my failed attempts to mod extra body parts onto creatures. Also, note the left eye. Ouch.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2010, 04:14:09 pm »

I'm sorry, but I have to

That's an epic goblin.

I haven't gotten very many epic wounds. There's really just the time an ironclad recruit got stabbed in the throat by a goblin and bleed out less than a second later and the times my champions got their brains crushed by elephant feet.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2010, 10:46:31 pm »

This isn't a specific injury, but one time following a siege I found several goblin body parts lodged in the fortifications on floors 2-4 of my marksdwarf guard tower, below which most of the battle transpired. I can just imagine a swordsdwarf hacking off a goblin's leg and watching it fly up three stories into an arrow slit and get stuck.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2010, 12:09:16 am »

I was greatly amused by the monkey torture earlier in the thread.

Anyway, I've had many cases of missing and mangled limbs, horror stories created by my modding in genitals for all creatures (truly I am evil for enjoying this), etc. But two have really stood out.

The first, being the worst but not chronologically first, a soldier-class I can't remember, but melee-was sent to guard the underground river in one 40d16 fort where I hadn't set up a well or finished the water management systems, the ponds were perpetually empty, and I frequently ran out of booze (managing the barrel-to-edible-goods ratio can be difficult in arid, treeless environments) I was watching at the time designating the tunnels where the water channel would soon be dug, and saw him/her fall into the river, chasing/dragged by some of the various residents. They were dragged downstream, over a waterfall, at the bottom of which he fought for several real-time minutes (a week or so?) before bleeding to death, I couldn't have saved them with the animal-men even though they lived long enough for me to have gotten a miner up there to give them a path, a shame really. I checked their wounds, inventory, all their personal info during the fight. They managed to kill several of the beasts, including a crocodile, two olm-men and two frog-women, and suffered red and yellow injuries to every part of the body, and several things lost. Miserable by the time they died.

The second that has stood out, is a marksdwarf who suffered an eye injury from god only remembers what (but probably the orcs...). Not particularly horrific, barely a setback. Except that he would randomly fall unconscious every couple minutes, not every time he took a step, not every other step, he could perform a few tasks in the meantime. I decided to watch him more closely at one point, checking his wounds page constantly. Nothing. The eye was missing all right, but he was NEVER in pain, never exhausted, stunned, winded, anything, and had no other injuries. It was a bug, probably.
Eventually he passed out during a very fateful battle (and stupid on my part) and miraculously survived unharmed after all the others had been incapacitated or killed, and began sniping the orcs from his position across the river. By that point they'd run out of ammo (how miserable a force we are to have to wait for them to empty their quivers! of course they're idiots too for not leaving afterward.) and I was solely interested in cleaning them up, so he wasn't being particularly heroic. We only lost a couple civies and a couple less productive marksmen (my only military in that fort since I was walled in and had bridges to retract across non-freezing rivers)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2010, 12:14:22 am »

I once slashed a child in the lower body with a short sword and his guts popped out of the wound and then I slashed him in the guts and they sailed off in an ark,I then decided to pick them up and beat him to death with them.(edit)Oh fortress injuries,mine would be dumping a useless migrant about 6 floors down onto wooden and copper spikes and then letting him die from infection.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:17:32 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2010, 02:06:47 am »

I once had a tamed elephant go at it with a winged fire blob megabeast for a very long time.  I don't recall every gruesome detail, but suffice it to say this elephant was covered in burn and cut wounds from head to toe before he finally died, probably of suffocation due to the enormous amount of smoke near him.  The saddest thing was, that being a blob of fire, the elephant never managed to seriously injure the beast, which would go on to gut my fortress before settling down in a (now vacant) nobles room.   

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2010, 02:14:21 am »

Most horrifying injury, I guess you could say, is that one of my dwarves lost his nose.

However, one dwarf that went to fight a forgotten beast is another story. The guy fought bravely, but apparently he got confused, since he was a crossbowdwarf and didn't bring any bolts, so he went to fight the beast with his crossbow. "Beautiful fool," I said to myself, whilst smirking, as I watched the forgotten beast break a lot of bones in his body, and tear off his hand.

My other dwarves arrived as backup, making short work of the FB, and after a while, the crossbowdwarf was brought to the hospital. A lot of time passed, and I thought he was going to make it, but he died from infection. Truly a sad story, but he went out like a man -- or dwarf, whatever you prefer. He balanced that delicate line between insanity, stupidity, and bravery, so I'm more likely to say he died like a dwarf.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:16:37 am by Poot »

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2010, 05:20:48 am »

I had a (dumb) miner who decided to take a stroll through some magma... Her upper and lower lip and two fingers melted off. As she then was going down to get herself a drink, a fellow dwarf rushed forward and grabbed her. He then dumped her in a bed, where she stayed until her death, caused by some masons who liked putting walls up. Her death could have been avoided if she wasn't hauled off into a bed I think, and it would look so god damn awesome to have a miner without lips running around  :(
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2010, 09:14:57 pm »

Had a fisherdwarf get caught outside during an ambush by goblin crossbowmen. They shot him full of bolts until they ran out, then bludgeoned him with their crossbows for a while. He had two full 1280x1024 pages of wounds. Every bone in his body was broken, he was bleeding heavily from every bodypart, his organs were bruised, he had two teeth knocked out, his eyes gouged out, and sensory nerve AND movement nerve (or whatever it's called) damage. Finally, I managed to get them all trapped and rescue him, only to put him in bed and him get back out of bed trying to path back to the caged goblin. The doctors couldn't do anything because he wasn't resting, and his constant pathing brought my FPS down to single digits. I had to download Runesmith and kill him that way. Poor guy.

Wait, he was trying to smack around one of the captured goblins?

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2010, 09:42:04 pm »

I designated some channels for my windmill "going green" project.  My miner fell down the shaft he just channeled which was about two or three floors and landed on some gear assemblies.  He completely fractured both of his legs and had a bruised lower body.  The central staircase wasn't far away so he was forced to crawl in and out of consciousness to the hospital on his hands as the other dwarves went about their business.  He was not properly treated so he got an infection in his right lower leg but everything else healed fine. 

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »

One of my War dog's that made the killing blow to one of the FB's got his front leg ripped off. He is still alive and attached to a new owner sense his last one died. recently he got in a fight with a troll and managed to tear off both it legs and one of its finger while it had cut open it stomach and his intestine's where hanging out. He was saved by my animal care taker.... but his guts are still dragging around..
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2010, 04:30:37 am »

My dwarves either wipe stuff out or get destroyed generally, but I just had a stray puppy wander into my training spear trap room for beating recruits up and he managed to get his guts torn out, his lungs destroyed, his eyes ripped out, 3 paws and 3 legs broken, and finally upper and lower body broken.

He managed to drag himself about 6 tiles away from the recruit beating chamber on one leg before finally bleeding to death.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]