Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surviving *spoiler*, Project Obsidian Hammer  (Read 2883 times)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving *spoiler*, Project Obsidian Hammer
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »

My plan, if I ever get off my ass and do it, is to have a giant room, maybe 40X40, with an obsidian platform hanging above it. The center of the room is filled with hundreds of chained war dogs, cats, etc. A ton of demons flock to the animals, the war dogs get some lucky hits, and when I'm almost out of animals I smash down the platform, which is shaped in such a way to seal off the entrance. A ton of demons killed, then I send my miners in, mine out the obsidian, reload the kittens and obsidian, send out all but one redshirt miner and open the entrance again. Repeat until first wave is killed.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »

Keep in mind that only the initial wave of clowns is really all that terrible - after that, they only come at you two at a time...  when they bother to come at all.  Clowns after the first wave seem to operate along similar lines to wild beasts (and may not even be fliers who can exit the HFS if you don't help them out by building stairwells down to them), and just gradually migrate onto the map a couple at a time, and only hunt your dwarves if they can get visual contact.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 10:48:24 pm »

You could open up the underworld in such a way that it connects to the surface, but not to the caverns. This means that you will have goblins and elves caught in the middle, and you'll get a nice 3-way melee going on.

This, but plus a stupid dwarf trick: construct up-down stairs on the surface, dig up-down stairs below them, in the dirt. Move everything below ground. Dig the chasm leading from surface to HFS avoiding the caverns. Rig a way to breach HFS with cave in with lever. Make sure everyone is inside and deconstruct the up-down stairs. This happens from below as normal, and leaves the floor they were built on, isolating you. Throw the lever to breach HFS. You get the caverns, caravans and seiges get the amusing fun stuff.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 04:07:25 am »

Keep in mind that only the initial wave of clowns is really all that terrible - after that, they only come at you two at a time...  when they bother to come at all.  Clowns after the first wave seem to operate along similar lines to wild beasts (and may not even be fliers who can exit the HFS if you don't help them out by building stairwells down to them), and just gradually migrate onto the map a couple at a time, and only hunt your dwarves if they can get visual contact.
Wha-... Really?  That's it, time to get a military that can survive 2 clowns at a time and get to clown car smashing. 

I wonder if a 50x50 block of obsidian will be enough...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 07:20:27 am »

If anyone manages to pull this off, he should definitely wall a portion of hell (with bottomless pit!) for himself, from top of hell to bottom, using adamantine walls  :o
Pages: 1 [2]