Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surviving *spoiler*, Project Obsidian Hammer  (Read 2879 times)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surviving *spoiler*, Project Obsidian Hammer
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »

I was reading up on the new HFS and was wondering how to survive opening them, FPS and just raw survival. 
Walling them up is undesirable. 

Since your military can't possibly fight all day, I needed a non-dwarf-using way of getting rid of demons. 
Thus, the Obsidian Hammer was born. 

The basic design includes diverting the breach into the magma sea and up a shaft at least 100z high.  The square at the bottom of the shaft MUST be semi-molten rock.  (your shaft goes through the magma sea)
At the top of the shaft is an automatic cave-in generator using water and magma.  The idea is to have caveins going on continually, and not clogging the shaft by dropping the obsidian into the semi-molten rock. 

Does anyone forsee any problems with this design?  Would a falling block of obsidian kill stuff below it?  Especially stuff mid-way up the shaft?

Also, I am in need of a 100% reliable cave-in generator.  All the designs for those I draw up seem to be able to clog up on a combination of rare events (eg. water teleportation + magma teleportation at the right time to the right place...)

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving *spoiler*, Project Obsidian Hammer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:34:55 pm »

Wouldn't the magma waterfall kill your FPS even harder though?

And no, I don't know how to make a reliable cave-in generator.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:37:47 pm »

First, military is perfectly viable. You just need fifty legendary axe lords or so.
Second, your idea would work very well, using a design similar to
z 102
#####
## ##
%>X<% (water and magma access)
## ##
#####

z101
#####
##.##
#. .#
##.##
##.##
  |
  | to fort
  V

z 100 - z 1
#####
#####
## ##
#####
#####

z0

#####
#####
##≈..--> to Hell
#####
#####

# = wall
. = floor
<% %> = pumps
≈=Magma flow (SMR floor)

You would need to make sure you have a reliable (infinite/replenishing) source of magma and water. Keep in mind that the magma sea only refills to the height it enters the map from, as well as the fact that this combined with magma's lack of pressure can cause "bubbles" of magma that don't refill.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:58:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »

You could to a reliable one with machine logic, but it would be slow. You could make it drop a solid platform every five seconds or so, thus not clogging up.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »

you talked about teleporting water/magma. Well if you want to keep the pipes clean I can suggest leaving all the plumbing open at the top so miners can just channel it back out again.

LNeas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »

I've been considering a setup like this for future dealings with HFS and had a question concerning the mechanics of how it kills the clowns. Does the impact from the falling obsidian do it or does it simply force them into the SMR before the obsidan itself is absorbed?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:59:29 am »

The tons of falling rock kills them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:07:48 am »

An other system is with menacing spikes and a repeater. if you put down some 2000 menacing spikers (200 tiles) then you can kill of the hfs
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08:47 am »

As long as your dwarves fight in shifts you should be okay. Be sure to have some way to seal off the passage should you need to retreat and replenish your numbers.

With, say, 50 dwarves in your military you can easily have 25 on duty and on station at all times. That should be enough to defeat the hordes. If losses become too great you can seal off the underworld with obsidian or even a simple drawbridge until you have enough dwarves to fight again.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »

A few dozen ballistas and a few dozen long narrow corridors ought to do the trick too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 03:44:33 pm »

Won't the ones made of salt or gas screw you over?  I mean, you could have combat logs full of "it passes straight through!" and dwarves getting bumped to death. 

I heard the only way to kill them was with cave-ins... =/

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:23:50 pm »

I recently drained an ocean into the underworld.  Basically as soon as the passage was opened, three Z-levels of ocean instantly shot through the tunnel at unbelievable pressure.  The ocean was 3x4 world tiles in size, as well.  It was really cool seeing the height of the ocean suddenly lower like that. 

Unfortunately, the denizens of said underworld can't drown, so they killed all my dwarves.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:52 pm »

You could open up the underworld in such a way that it connects to the surface, but not to the caverns. This means that you will have goblins and elves caught in the middle, and you'll get a nice 3-way melee going on.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 07:09:57 pm »

You could open up the underworld in such a way that it connects to the surface, but not to the caverns. This means that you will have goblins and elves caught in the middle, and you'll get a nice 3-way melee going on.
...is there any way to work with that to get the perfect anti-siege/elf weapon?  I mean, would it be possible to essentially seal off my fort and let HFS just kill everything outside..
There'd be a problem with the caravans though.

Edited for typo.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:35:01 pm by Galick »
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:13 pm »

All you do is dig a mine shaft from the surface to the adamantine tube. Wall off all other exits, so that there is only a path to the surface from the tube and no cavern access.

You will then get demons on the surface. They should interact with sieges and caravans in an amusing matter.
Pages: [1] 2