Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zulban Rulbomrek, war dog  (Read 1318 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Zulban Rulbomrek, war dog
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »

I noticed this little 'd' sitting in front of the drawbridge leading into the fort all the time and got curious whose dog he was.  I looked into the fort's history and found out what had happened around him.  I have no idea if I posted this in the right place originally, so I'm risking forum taboo by crossposting:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63861.0

I find it amazing that Toady has written a game with such rich detail that it can make me care so much about a little 'd' on the screen.  He's been sitting in front of that gate for 10 years now.  I wish you could assign a tomb to a pet, because he deserves it.

I'm wondering what similar experiences others have had.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zulban Rulbomrek, war dog
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:02:05 pm »

True Dog™
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:19 pm »

If he's still a pet, I think that means he will be buried as one when he eventually dies. I suggest that you have a bunch of tombs for generic pets, and one for this loyal dog, but have ALL burial receptacles set to NOT accept pets. That way, when this one dies, you can mark the appropriate tomb as available for pets; if any other animal kicks the bucket, you can enable a different coffin, to ensure that the wrong animal doesn't get the Stupendous Tomb of Awesome.

Which should, by preference, be either connected or otherwise in proximity to that of his former master, or a raised structure near the gate. In the latter case, bonus points if you can get a statue depicting one of his more successful battles(or at least SOME battle he was in), and place it on the peak of the tomb. Eternally vigilant.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:26:54 pm »

Even more bonus points if you get a masterwork statue of a dog.

That's a crazy story. Gotta love DF.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »

A masterwork statue of Zulban {Rulbomrek - whatever it translates to} the dog and so-and-so the goblin, with the goblin making a plaintive gesture and the dog in a menacing pose, would be so awesome that it should spontaneously generate magma.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »

Agreed. Be sure to post pictures of your shrine.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.