Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "I want you to stand on this specific tile and wait for further instructions."  (Read 1124 times)

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In order to avoid flooding my fortress, I need a miner to be in between two floodgates which I made one tile apart. I've tried messing with burrows, but so far the best I managed was to get everyone instead of the one dwarf specified to that tile.

Is this possible? (Playing the "timing it just right" game is not desired either.) :P
Rogan?

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

set the undesired places to restricted traffic area?
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Create burrow and w>c to add citizen to burrow. Don't activate it from the military menu.

Also, people, stop telling everyone who asks a question in this vein to use restricted traffic zones. They don't work that way.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile

IME dwarves assigned to a burrow still tend to wander in and out of the perimeter a little bit, so there is still a tiny bit of timing involved, but it will certainly keep him in mostly the same place. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's not going there. :/

*edit*

Nevermind, he finally went there (Along with a bunch of other dwarves) after I toggled the setting from the military screen a couple of times.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:15:47 pm by Zogundar »
Rogan?

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah that dwarf smells somethings fishy. "stand on the spot marked with X! now dont move." -captain of guard orders, locking the door and runs upstairs. "---yeah right i am..." -UristNotSoDumb.
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Easiest way to get a specific dwarf to a specific spot for a non-specific period of time:

Levers. 

Just build a lever, set the workshop profile for JUST that dwarf, and then set pulling the lever on repeat.  Assuming he doesn't have any other work to do, your dwarf will happily sit there pulling the lever until he gets hungry or tired.  Depending on his work eithic, the dwarf may actually pass out from exhaustion before leaving his post.

Even better, you can do this to get children where you want them.  And you can link the lever to whatever you want them there for in the first place.  The only thing better than crushing your noble under 100 tons of rock is to make them drop it on themselves.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The lever idea is nice, but i prefer my childs in a burrow over my farms and plant-stockpile  8)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even better, you can do this to get children where you want them.  And you can link the lever to whatever you want them there for in the first place.  The only thing better than crushing your noble under 100 tons of rock is to make them drop it on themselves drown in magma they released themselves.
Fix't
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*edit*

Nevermind, he finally went there (Along with a bunch of other dwarves) after I toggled the setting from the military screen a couple of times.
The toggling probably didn't have anything to do with it since the burrow doesn't need to be activated to get the specifically assigned dwarves to go there (as far as I know, it only makes all of your dwarves restricted to that burrow). They do however sometimes take their good time to move their butts to the burrow, plus they still go to get food and drink elsewhere once they become hungry or thirsty enough.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Yeah, don't use the military screen.

Designate the burrow, and in the same menu you can add dwarves to the burrow. Add your miner.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The actual EASIEST way to get a dwarf to a specific spot is to make him a military commander of his own squad, and then order him to station where you want. That works quickly. If you set his uniform to be NOTHING, he will only wander away for food and drink.

Making a burrow and assigning the citizen to it works--- eventually. But the dwarf will wander away whenever it want.

If you want to do some breeching of liquids but don't want to flood the fortress until someone can get around to pulling a lever--- install a door behind your lowered floodgate. The miner can then mine the rock breeching into the liquid, and will run away from the flood of water/magma. The door will shut behind the miner, stopping the flow. You might get a small puddle (1/7) of water one or two tiles past the door using this method, as water occasionally flows fast enough to flow a unit or two through the door while the miner has it open to pass through it.

Once you are through breeching, you can have any dwarf pull the floodgate control lever. The floodgate will deploy, and now you can reclaim your water plug door. Repeat as necessary.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even better, you can do this to get children where you want them. 
Unless this was introduced since 31.08 (which I am still playing), then children don't pull levers.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.