Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Let's Play/Tutorial videos  (Read 2518 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Let's Play/Tutorial videos
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »

Rope Reed is important so you can get infinit bags, ropes and other stuff.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 11:40:45 pm »

For information: You need an apointed noble with the manager position that has his own privat chair. Without a chair, he cant aprove your orders.

Not true. If that were true, then you would not be able to get the first chair built, because the manager couldn't approve the work order to build the first chair. Also, I've let my forts go for several seasons before getting around to making office space. The dwarves work orders get approved, and dwarves go to work without the manager having an assigned chair.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:45:56 pm by AngleWyrm »

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 02:52:24 am »

You can build stuff directly at a workshop without having a manager.
Diggy diggy hole.

s1ppycup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 02:56:35 am »

Awesome tips guys!  I will definitely put those into the videos.  As you can probably tell, I'm not exactly a leading authority on DF, so I'm really glad you guys have taken the time to watch the videos and help me improve them!

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 07:06:08 am »

For information: You need an apointed noble with the manager position that has his own privat chair. Without a chair, he cant aprove your orders.

Not true. If that were true, then you would not be able to get the first chair built, because the manager couldn't approve the work order to build the first chair. Also, I've let my forts go for several seasons before getting around to making office space. The dwarves work orders get approved, and dwarves go to work without the manager having an assigned chair.

I was talking about the job manager. The sceen where he wants to show the second way to make things but fails. That screen where it says "You need an appointed Manager"
Geez, does noone in this thread know how things work?

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »

I was talking about the job manager. The sceen where he wants to show the second way to make things but fails. That screen where it says "You need an appointed Manager"
Geez, does noone in this thread know how things work?
I know how things work. The manager does not need a chair. He works just fine without. However, you do need the manager appointed for any non-direct work orders.
Luckily he will go through and allow you to appoint a dwarf to a workshop without the ability to sit down.
I know this because I've been taking forever on the fort I'm working on and I'm just now building my first throne and table. For my bookkeeper.

Also, when AngleWyrm was trying to correct you, I think it was based on how absolutely vague your comment was to begin with. :P
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 03:22:48 pm »

Well, isn't it obvious I was talking about the let's play?
My comment was directed at the OP. I guessed he would know what I was talking about.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:43:57 pm by Spectre »

s1ppycup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 03:36:23 pm »

I understand what you guys mean :D  You can assign tasks at a workshop without having a manager appointed, however you cannot use the job list to assign jobs indirectly.  I've made an annotation to that effect in the corresponding video.  Thanks again for your help!

s1ppycup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 03:15:02 am »

If you're interested, I've also started a screenshot Let's Play thread over at Something Awful forums, you can find it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3334261.  I used the same seed and embark as the video LP series, but I'm building the fort a bit differently and trying to make my presentation a little more humorous -- you have to know your audience, yeah?  As with the YouTube LP videos, I welcome any feedback you might have :)

EDIT: Not sure what the rules are about linking to other forums, if I'm out of line please let me know ^_^

s1ppycup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:52 am »

Just released episodes 17 and 18 last night, which go over the military scheduling system in pretty exhaustive detail.  Definitely check them out if you're a newcomer, or even an old hand, still bamboozled by the new system.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 11:49:05 am »

Military is really one hell of a hazle. Will check those vids.

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »

Military videos were very helpful and thorough.  I learned a bit from them, thanks!   :)

s1ppycup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 03:02:12 pm »

Awesome, glad to hear it :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:11 pm »

I know how things work. The manager does not need a chair. He works just fine without. However, you do need the manager appointed for any non-direct work orders.
Luckily he will go through and allow you to appoint a dwarf to a workshop without the ability to sit down.
I know this because I've been taking forever on the fort I'm working on and I'm just now building my first throne and table. For my bookkeeper.

The Manager requires an office (designated from a chair) in order to approve work orders (from the job manager, u-m-q or j-m-q), though in 40d this restriction didn't actually take effect until your population reached 20 dwarves. Any other jobs, whether designations (mining, wood cutting, plant gathering) or at workshops, can be performed without the need of a manager.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:59:18 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]