Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Attribute Training  (Read 7740 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Attribute Training
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 12:22:09 am »

Testing engraving.  The test pool: 2 dwarves Legendary +5 Engravers, 2 Dwarves 0 skill engravers.  2 dwarves 500 agility, creativity, spacial, and kinaesthetic, and 2 with 1,500 attributes.  Mixed and matched, of course.  All dwarves were given a 10x10 plot to smooth and then engrave.

Subject 1: Legendary +5 - Att 1500
100 smoothings = +1 Agility, +1 Kin
100 engravings = +1 Creativity, +1 Spacial
Total +1 to all stats hitting 1,501 in each, plus 21 masterpiece engravings.

Subject 2: Legendary +5 - Att 500
100 Smoothings = Exact same growth.
100 Engravings = Exact same again
Total Identical to the Attribute 1,500 dwarf.  25 Masterpieces.

Subject 3: Zero skill - Att 500
100 Smoothings = +13 Agi, +12 Cre, +12 Spatial, +13 Kin
100 Engravings =+21 Agi, +21 Cre, +21 Spatial, +21 Kin
NOTE: It is important to take note that this dwarf had the most problems, namely food, breaks, booze, and other such dwarven things, and as such was the slowest to perform his job, by far.

Subject 4: Zero skill - Att 1500
100 Smoothings = +14 Agi, Cre +13, +11 Spacial, +14 Kin
100 Engravings = +13 Agi, +13 Cre, +12 Spacial, +13 Kin

DFHack was used to create 4 blocks of 10x10x1 obsidian, mined out by 2 Legendary +5 miners.  The Legendary +5 engravers were allowed to do their jobs.  The no-skill engravers had to be burrowed, so they could both work at the same time and cut down on overall work time.  Runesmith was used to adjust skill levels and attribute numbers, and to check attribute progress.

It seems extremely obvious to me that the time spent performing a job determines how much attribute gain that job gives.  Cluttering you workshops should cause these workshops to give higher attribute returns, in case you're wanting to train up strength via masonry, it may pay off to overload the mason's shop with clutter to drag out the length of each task.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:02 am »

It's interesting that Subject 3 had significantly higher gains for engraving, but similar gains to Subject 4 for smoothing.

I wouldn't think that breaks should matter unless you gain the attributes just from having the labor assigned, which doesn't make much sense.

I assume that you generated these dwarves - when you do, do they still receive random personality traits? Perhaps that has something to do with it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:10 am »

I don't even know how to build pumps, let alone make a gym out of them. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:00 am »

Cluttering you workshops should cause these workshops to give higher attribute returns, in case you're wanting to train up strength via masonry, it may pay off to overload the mason's shop with clutter to drag out the length of each task.

Although, it may be worth doing a test with a set number of frames / time instead of tasks and see the gains.  It's possible that the increased gains from taking longer per task are offset by the smaller number of tasks doable in, say, an hour.  I.E. maybe a cluttered workshop gives 10 times as much attribute gain per task, but perhaps an uncluttered workshop can do 10 times as many tasks and end up with the same attribute increase in the same timeframe(though with consuming more resources, which may be important e.g. gem setting). 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 02:44:48 pm »

When Subject 3 was doing his engravings, he was in a rather foul mood.  Burrowed on a 10x10 block of stone, he would only eat once he went to sleep and someone came to shove food down his unconscious throat, and half the time that's how he drank too.  They other half was water because his plot of stone was beside a pond.  That's not counting the "slept on stone" and "caught in the rain" and whatnot.

So, due to his poor mood and sobriety, he was extremely slow to perform his job, leading me to believe that the time spent is more important than the number of jobs.  This is why an extremely cluttered workshop can improve skill gain, because they'll use less materials when working for the same time, and generally keep at it longer.  When butchering a FB, dwarves will go into "dehydrating" sometimes before they give up and go drink, where they'd normally give up on "thristy" if they're butchering 30 ducks.

Keeping a per-frame track would be extremely difficult, as it's hard to tell when a dwarf starts or finishes a job exactly, and the counting would be brutal.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 06:55:12 pm »

Bumping this with some new findings. I've gone about trying to test this in an empirical manner, but something that's becoming clear quickly is what GiH mentioned - attribute gains are based on time spent performing the task, and not on the 'units' of task completed.

I'm currently surveying a group of miners across one year, after modding them to have 0 in all their attributes.

By month, their attribute gains are staying constant, instead of increasing as one may expect if gains went by unit of task.

I'm going to continue looking into this, however, it would appear that the most efficient way to train attributes (other than endurance) right now is to crowd the hell out of a workshop and keep food/drink/rest nearby to minimize the time that the dwarf spends away from his work.

I would also be led to think that professions such as cooking, butchery, and bone carving, which by their nature alone cause their workshops to become cluttered, are the best for training up military dwarves in weak attributes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »

Clothworking can train a lot as well, as a stable farm plot produce rope reed and another producing blade weed, both of which can grow year long, while underground is seasonal, you can quickly clutter a number of workshops neck-deep in thread and cloth and masterwork crafts, and they're infinitely renewable for any number of training (plus trade-able and can still keep clutter).  No it's just a matter of what these tasks train...

According to the wiki, milling, threshing and dying train up strength and endurance, while these plus weaving and clothesmaking will also train up agility.  From this I vaguely conclude that threshing could be the best use of skilling, as it takes a single raw material (plants) and produces thread, without needing a bag like milling does.  Being a weaver or clothier isn't bad either, as it produces value and it also puts the dwarf into the "crafts" section in bright blue, while the brown farming section tends to be crowded with units.  This can make it easier to pick out your soldiers as they flash bright blue on the unit list.  Plus, I like the idea of a dwarf wearing his own cloak and hood into battle.
Pages: 1 [2]