Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No caravans!?  (Read 828 times)

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No caravans!?
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:55:46 pm »

I've embarked on the perfect site.  A north/south "reverse canyon" (it seriously looks like an inverted canyon) is split by a river from the south that falls into a massive 13 z-level waterfall, and splits off into an east/west river.  My fortress, with it's 5 z-level high walls and massive gatehouses and towers sits on one corner of this fall, the only connection between the three sections.  The pure-marble walls sing of the majesty of the powerful dwarven nation, and it's massive production and living facilities honeycomb the cliffs.

And I have no anvils and only 20 dwarves.  For some reason, I've only gotten migrants once, and no caravans ever.  There is a neighboring dwarven civ, but they send nothing.  The only option I can think of is to reclaim, but that screws with the underground and military, and won't guarantee that I'll have a bigger population or any trade.  Is there any option left aside from just regenning a world and double-checking the civs?
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No caravans!?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »

The depot is on the ground level of the fortress, accessible from all three sections of the map (I checked).  Even so, I've never gotten the message that a liaison or caravan arrived and left because it wasn't accessible.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:46 pm »

if the civ has no leaders it's dead. you'll get nothing.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »

Yeah... welcome to my world.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:01:53 pm »

Mine as well. with no anvil.

it sucks, but it's doable. I'm working on making everything automated and powered.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:20:30 pm »

You might get other races. Once the humans didnt show up for 3 years.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz