Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves and Bins...  (Read 766 times)

Tyvin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Elves and Bins...
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:59:54 am »

So I've been playing for about a week now, started a few games over as I learned how more things work, and I still get really frustrated with bins.  Using 31.10 now.

Bins are just excellent for storage of course, I build a bunch of them, and I'm cranking out stone crafts for trading.  Likewise, I'm turning lots of my stone and metals into blocks and bars, which is all being binned for storage.  Now the elves roll on in to the trade depot, and *all* my valuable items, bars, gems, crafts, etc, are all in bins and I can't get them out to trade!  Since of course giving the elves a wooden bin will upset them.

I've tried all sorts of things with no success (using gems as example):
Set Gem stockpile to only rough gems (it has bins of cut and uncut gems)
Create Gem stockpile that only takes cut gems.
Set Cut Gem stockpile to take from Uncut stockpile - Nothing Happens.

I've used the above also with trying to use dump, and tried various combinations of claiming forbidding items, and I just can't for the life of me empty out a bin...

The only thing I've managed to do is micromanage my stockpiles using a Max Bin setting so I have some items on the stockpile once the bins are full.
I would kill for an (e)mpty bin operation that would forbid the bin, and unload any materials inside it to relevant stockpiles!

Isn't there an easier way??  Help!

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves and Bins...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

The easier way is to send the bins with your trade goods to the trade depot and trade what's INSIDE the bins to the elves.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:09:12 am »

I hardly play the new version but cant you still individually select what to trade once its brought to the depot? Otherwise this finally seems like a good reason to make metal bins.

Tyvin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:16:40 am »

*blinks*

Arg!  I can select the items in the bins after they are at the depot?  Well crap, that makes it all a lot easier!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 11:35:35 am »

The best way to 'trade' with elves, IMO, is to engineer your trade depot as a drowning chamber.   They seem to keep bringing you more and more fancy animals to play with for every caravan you obliterate, whereas if you actually trade with them and let the caravan leave making a profit they start bringing loads of cloth and not so many caged animals.  this also means you never have to worry about pissing them off with wood stuff (dead elves don't complain much it seems), and if you continue drowning the caravans eventually they will start besieging your fort giving your military some good training material.

The only good elf, is a drown elf!
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »

The best way to 'trade' with elves, IMO, is to engineer your trade depot as a drowning chamber.   They seem to keep bringing you more and more fancy animals to play with for every caravan you obliterate, whereas if you actually trade with them and let the caravan leave making a profit they start bringing loads of cloth and not so many caged animals.  this also means you never have to worry about pissing them off with wood stuff (dead elves don't complain much it seems), and if you continue drowning the caravans eventually they will start besieging your fort giving your military some good training material.

The only good elf, is a drown elf!

Dude, you fail.

The only good elf is a liquidated elf.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:36:09 pm »

*blinks*

Arg!  I can select the items in the bins after they are at the depot?  Well crap, that makes it all a lot easier!

This way you get to reuse the bins as well!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 07:42:59 pm »

You could also make metal bins.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »

You could also make metal bins.

Lead bins full of lead mugs. The elfs really like that kind of stuff.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »

Why use lead when you can use cinnabar?