Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Time to try out 31?  (Read 2914 times)

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time to try out 31?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 10:29:49 am »

I only cage them so they cant breed.
In .40, I was just about ready to send any migrant that came with an animal out to die somewhere. But I understand in the new version, migrants come with some good skills so I may have to hold off on that plan.
I certainly wont be doing anything stupid like I did in the past where I bought a horse, not realizing 3 migrants would show up the same day with instantly prego mares that they loved and that followed them everywhere and I imedialty had a dozen babys to deal with.
I could have cornered the world market on glue.
Dwarven calvary wouldn't ride horses anyway, they would ride.....Giant badgers or something.

There is an elegant solution to unwanted animals/kids following a dwarf everywhere. a long thin corridor full of steel upright spikes with a lever at the dead end, linked to the said spikes. Tell  the dwarf to pull the lever. Problem solved.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:44 pm »

hmmm.
then tell him to clean up the mess. Dwarf tears.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 02:39:07 pm »

If the dwarf is unhappy you can use the lever approach to seal him off as well. Just have him go into that narrow corridor with spikes. Make sure there is a door there. When his pet enters lock the door. Have him pull the lever until the pet is dead.

If the dwarf goes berserk just leave the door locked.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

I might not be cut out for this. I might just have to go on being no good at this game. I haven't gotten past wanting the goblins and skeletal camels to do my dirty work for me.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 03:45:08 pm »

Wait for .11 - the "dead dwarves still appear in squads" bug (which is already fixed ready for .11 release) is annoying enough on its own.  If you're looking to make the switch and "enjoy" the game, rather than "put up with" it, then I think the next release will probably be the sweet spot between waiting for enough bugs to be squashed and waiting forever for perfection.

Indeed, been trying every release so far after 40d, sounds like .11 is the first one to seriously get my attention. Although their a numerous things to enjoy besides ones military in DF I find it a big part of enjoying the game. Even more so the new exciting ways to have "fun" in 2010. Finally being able to train a military squad "normaly" is a big deal together with the numerous equipment issues and dwarves becoming upset from being put on offduty (to actually get them to train).

Lets hope Toady gets something up and running around the 22-23rd so we can give it a whirl :P
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

On an almost-related question:  are shells still a frequent problem on 'typical' maps, containing at least a few pools or a stream?  I've only started a single fort in the later 31.x versions (it dates from 31.06, I think), and that one churns out about twenty shells a year from a single fisherman.  But that's not enough experience to determine a trend, obviously.

Problem is that you will eventually run out of them. Sometimes quite fast.

I had migrant "Grandmaster Fisherdwarf" which fished out all rivers (map contained three rivers joining) and pools withing few seasons.

Then, to my great annoyance, remains-rotting code which solved permanent remains by introducing rotability to all items, took over and i helplessly watched my lifelong supply of 200 shells to rot away.

Five years after incident all fishing tasks failed with "nothing to catch" and moods need to be solved with hooves.

You can keep fisherdwarf on short leash and only turn on fishing when you need shells, but shells are as of now finite, non-importable resource that you can not stockpile.

Relevant bug entry is here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1081

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »

Problem is that you will eventually run out of them. Sometimes quite fast.

I had migrant "Grandmaster Fisherdwarf" which fished out all rivers (map contained three rivers joining) and pools withing few seasons.

Then, to my great annoyance, remains-rotting code which solved permanent remains by introducing rotability to all items, took over and i helplessly watched my lifelong supply of 200 shells to rot away.

Five years after incident all fishing tasks failed with "nothing to catch" and moods need to be solved with hooves.

You can keep fisherdwarf on short leash and only turn on fishing when you need shells, but shells are as of now finite, non-importable resource that you can not stockpile.

Relevant bug entry is here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1081

Ouch - brutal bug.  I'm hoping that it does turn out to be a vermin thing as described on the tracker - I do have free-roaming cats around to deal with vermin.  So far the shell stockpiles (there are several, on three different floors) have been holding up, but maybe there'll be a "rotsplosion" later.
Pages: 1 2 [3]