Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Time to try out 31?  (Read 2906 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time to try out 31?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 11:46:38 am »

Been having a blast with 31.08. Holding off on another upgrade until 31.11. Hopefully the update will be save compatible, but if not no big deal.

Also yes underground farming is harder to do now. It may be easier to dig out a greenhouse. Protect it by building green glass block walls and a ceiling, and so your farmers can grow surface crops without interruption in complete safety.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 11:54:38 am »

Plumbing implies you want your irrigation to be some fancy project. Is this because this is the design you have in mind for your fort? Would you settle for a much simpler, faster, practical solution?

I don't know much about it except that I understand I cannot do my .40 usual of digging down one level and planting my farms in the dirt, I know underground farms need some water on the dirt before you can plant. I love using a lot of area in dirt for my first store rooms etc, cause I dont have to haul rock.
But I say that water underground is my bug bear because It took me allot of reading and thought to figure out how to dig a cistern, channel a pond to it, then set up the well above it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »

Plumbing implies you want your irrigation to be some fancy project. Is this because this is the design you have in mind for your fort? Would you settle for a much simpler, faster, practical solution?

I don't know much about it except that I understand I cannot do my .40 usual of digging down one level and planting my farms in the dirt
No this is exactly what I do. Just that I also breach a murky pool to wet the area before I build the farms. Remember to wall up the pool afterwards since it refills on rain.

But I say that water underground is my bug bear because It took me allot of reading and thought to figure out how to dig a cistern, channel a pond to it, then set up the well above it.
Do you want water in the caverns or not? You can have your way when you worldgen. A private cistern that you've dug out and filled has the advantage that you don't have to worry about cavern critters flying up your well if you just use the underground lakes as-is.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 12:32:27 pm »

I don't know much about it except that I understand I cannot do my .40 usual of digging down one level and planting my farms in the dirt, I know underground farms need some water on the dirt before you can plant. I love using a lot of area in dirt for my first store rooms etc, cause I dont have to haul rock.
Instead of underground crops, I have switched to just do a 1-z-deep channel and create an aboveground farm.  Do a bit of gathering for wild strawberries and fisher berries, and they replace plump helmets in an early farm.

If you embark with one proficient grower/gatherer, you'll easily generate enough food and booze until you grow to 50 or so dwarves
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

spooq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 01:07:29 pm »

Also take a cow and a bull, and slaughter any camel/mule/horse/donkey you start with. Keep the bones, hides and fat (and hooves, if you are like me and put [SHELL] on them) for industry, and cook the meat.

As long as you always milk all your cows and kill all but the very best bull, you can generate considerable food this way. Not quite enough to live on exclusively, but it certainly helps, and takes very little effort from you or your dwarves.

It might be possible to invest heavily in cows on embark and never farm, but I haven't tried it. It strikes me as an expensive solution compared to gathering plants.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »

You can also just put the [SHELL] tag on nearly anything. I just put it on bones, as well as hooves, hair, horns, etc. This will work with moods as well as crafting.

I even tried putting the [SHELL] tag onto stone. Unfortunately it does not let you decorate things with stone. I tried. :(

spooq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »

Next game I start, I'll probably just put it on horns. Somehow sounds a bit better than using hooves. :P

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »

You can milk your hoarses and camels too so investing into a cheesemaker could be usefull. Theres thought a glitch with caged animals that are sheduled for milking.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 05:22:46 pm »

ohh. this is going to be painful. For me the cows and horses and cats and dogs are just a nightmare of caging and chopping that I can barely keep ahead of.
Doh, everyone is sitting in the well room again!

spooq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 02:22:16 am »

I don't bother caging any animals. I just restrain a couple of wardogs at my entrance. Let the rest wander where they want.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 03:10:01 am »

Wandering pets are the great annihilators of FPS. They must die before they kill it all.

The kittens are coming.

The kittens are coming...
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 03:40:20 am »

On an almost-related question:  are shells still a frequent problem on 'typical' maps, containing at least a few pools or a stream?  I've only started a single fort in the later 31.x versions (it dates from 31.06, I think), and that one churns out about twenty shells a year from a single fisherman.  But that's not enough experience to determine a trend, obviously.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 03:57:41 am »

It's really a luck thing. I've never embarked on a map without lots of water and always have a few fisherdwarfs, and some maps I hardly get any shells, and other maps I don't hardly know what to do with all of them. I stuck [SHELL] on to bone, just in case.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 04:15:28 am »

Marksman is still wonky and hard to get working.. I would leave that alone and hope its fixed for .11
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 09:51:36 am »

I only cage them so they cant breed.
In .40, I was just about ready to send any migrant that came with an animal out to die somewhere. But I understand in the new version, migrants come with some good skills so I may have to hold off on that plan.
I certainly wont be doing anything stupid like I did in the past where I bought a horse, not realizing 3 migrants would show up the same day with instantly prego mares that they loved and that followed them everywhere and I imedialty had a dozen babys to deal with.
I could have cornered the world market on glue.
Dwarven calvary wouldn't ride horses anyway, they would ride.....Giant badgers or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3